VMware Communities
pmusick
Contributor
Contributor

guest Windows OS want run after upgrading host memory above 4gb on Vista 64-bit

I upgraded my memory on my Vista 64-bit quad core pc from 4gb to 6gb and when I try to start a windows OS XP, Vista, Windows 7 they all give me a VMDK file error during windows start up. I am however able to run UBuntu fine and if I remove the additional ram and go back to 4gb the windows images run fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix my windows images?

Thanks

0 Kudos
7 Replies
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hiii

please do check the memory TAB under preferences on vmware workstation nad also memeory allocated to easch windows guest OS under their SETTINGS OPTION

PLEASE DO CONSIDER AWARDING POINTS OF CORRECT OR HELPFUL ANSWER OPTION;;;THANKS IN ADVANCE

regards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
pmusick
Contributor
Contributor

I have tried different settings for the memory and the image still fails with this error

Operation on file "C:\Users\paul\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 7 7052\Windows 7 7052.vmdk" failed.

If the file resides on a remote file system, please make sure your network connection and the server where this disk resides are functioning properly. If the file resides on removable media, reattach the media.

Choose Retry to attempt the operation again.

Choose Abort to terminate this session.

Choose Continue to forward the error to the guest operating system.

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

this appears to be the same problem as mine - although my system is Windows 7 64 bit

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1505325#1505325

I have EXACTLY the same symptoms

Thanks

Pete

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you try to uninstall Workstation - reboot - reinstall - reboot ?

VMX-parameters- Workstation FAQ -[ MOA-liveCD|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
petevick
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

thanks for your help - got a solution here

Pete

0 Kudos
RParker
Immortal
Immortal

Interesting, after 20 some years Toshiba STILL has not resolved those type of issues.. amazing!

0 Kudos
golddiggie
Champion
Champion

Good reason to NOT use Toshiba laptops/computers... At least not if you ever intend to run VMware software/products on it...

VMware VCP4

Consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.

0 Kudos