VMware Communities
tbeernot
Contributor
Contributor

fan spin yp to max and stay there

I own a very silent laptop, with 32GB of RAM. The minute I start VMWare workstation the fans spin up to max and stay there until I stop the VM. In the VM I'm just running a vanilla windows without any additional software installed (as a test). Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
pwilk
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

How many vCPUs have you allocated to the VM?

As a side note, running a Type II hypervisor (VMware Workstation) which utilizes hyperthreading functionality of your CPU, can usually trigger CPU fans because of the BIOS settings. Have you checked those for options such as "silent mode"?

Also, if your laptop is usually very silent, you might only think your fans are spinning at their max speed. Have you tried to run any benchmarking software such as Everest to measure stats such as CPU temperature, FAN speed etc.?

Cheers, Paul Wilk
0 Kudos
ditchford
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add to this.  I think it must be a recent version update issue.  I'm running Workstation Pro 15.0.2.  Never had a problem with previous versions. I have tried on 2 different machines, both high spec.  The most recent machine is Dell XPS 32GB, 6 Cores i7, 1TB  SSD.  Its a completely new machine with very little installed.  Fan goes through roof as soon as I switch on VM.  Have tried throttling Memory and CPU allocated but this seems to have little or no impact.  Not happy to run with this set up for very long.  Anyone got an ideas other than buying a Mac / Parallels :-).

0 Kudos
AureusE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same problem with my thinkpad laptop. Were you able to solve the issue. I was looking trying to ask the question on different forums but without success. Which version of Vmware did you use without problems?

Regards

Albus

0 Kudos