VMware Communities
hgar12
Contributor
Contributor

failed to start the virtual machine - vmware workstation 16 pro

I can start only one virtual machine(Windows 7) and when I tried starting another one, it gives me the error.  A couple days ago I was able to start 4 virtual machines, but somehow now I can't start more than one.  I didn't do anything or change any settings. I have enough RAM and my storage is large enough.  

I'm running on windows 10 and I currently have vmware workstation pro 16

I am attaching the log file. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The log has this snippet:

2022-12-14T23:18:21.239Z In(05) vmx FILE: FileRotateByRenumber: rename of vm.scoreboard -> H:/vm-27.scoreboard failed: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process
2022-12-14T23:18:21.240Z Wa(03) vmx FileIOCreateRetryEx: Unrecognized error code: 1224
2022-12-14T23:18:21.241Z Er(02) vmx VMXSTATS: Failed to open or create vm.scoreboard: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.
2022-12-14T23:18:21.241Z Er(02) vmx VMXSTATS: Failed to map, open, or create the file, vm.scoreboard.

From that error, it looks like you have more than one VM in the H:\  root folder.

You should move your VM's into sub folders so that they do not try to re-use the same files, such as .scoreboard files.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
hgar12
Contributor
Contributor

ah ok, so I should create folders for each VM and put them in there.  I will try that and let you know how it goes.  Thanks, 

0 Kudos