VMware Communities
bandarV
Contributor
Contributor

error hal.dll missing

when i recover from previous backup error hal.dll come in server 2003 in VMeare i try many time to fix this error but 😞

0 Kudos
9 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
not much input so let me guess ...
you assigned 2 or more virtual CPUs to a VM that used to have only one ?

0 Kudos
bandarV
Contributor
Contributor

hi

yes i have one processor  and 1GB memory

the specification of old hardware is different from VM machine.
i do not have any idea about old machine

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you check if the hal.dll exists inside the image ?

bandarV
Contributor
Contributor

hi continuum

i just now finished copy hal.dll into vm server 2003 but still give me the same message.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

ok - then the message means that the wrong hal.dll is used

can you try a repair-installation ?

bandarV
Contributor
Contributor

hi continuum

i will try to repair-installation and give you result.

when i Study in engineering college give us username and password to access internet without joined my laptop to  their domain or anything else. just you need to make enable dhcp some and connect to WIFI or Cable Network then group policy applied automatic when open any internet browser it ask you username and password.

how they do it and what we need to applied in any organization

thank you continuum and for your time to read my discussion

0 Kudos
bandarV
Contributor
Contributor

I tried to work repair and installation, but still the same message.
I am now re-programming of the new server

0 Kudos
aschuss
Contributor
Contributor

I am having same problem with hal.dll error ...cannot get out of an endless of the machine trying to reboot.

How do I fix it?  I never used boot camp.  I do not know how to get into image and see if hal.dll is there?

thanks.

- Adam

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

When the message "hal.dll is missig" appears  it most definitely is noit a VMware error but and OS erro that appears on boot.  I don't believe just copying hal.dll to the system32 directory will do the trick - hal is a system service loaded at boot-time I don't beleive, but could be wrong - that exporer.exe itself has not yet been loaded. (you can see this by booting into safe mode - but  the boot will problem stop when the OS tries to load the hal.dll driver)  Sadly I can't ' give you much hope Smiley Sad  Trying  to repair the installation  from the install disk    will aomost certainoy fail (although you try try it - hope springs eternal).    Reinstalling the OS is the only way I've solved it.  However since the VM is in fact a series of files in a directory you may be able to extract your data.  If  I remeber both Ull and WoodyZ have provided details  s about this operation.  A quick search refers only to Windows XP or before which uses a boot.ini file such a file does not  exist in Windows 8 - not sure about Windows 7 because that OS is not  up for me  at the moment. If it is  present I think it has 0 bytes and is not used.

0 Kudos