VMware Communities
CiscoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

dual networks

I have two networks, LAN ethernet and a wireless. I want my VM to have wired access and my host the wireless.

How do I set up networking?

Thanks

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Configure VMware to only bridge Guests to your Wired Adapter.

Start VMware Workstation -> Edit -> Virtual Network Editor -> Host Virtual Network Mapping tab -> VMnet0: select your Wired connection from the drop down list.

0 Kudos
CiscoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

This gets the VM to use the wireless. However when I have the wired cable plugged in, the wireless does not work in the VM. I woudl imagine this is due to the Host OS sesing there is wired and wireless.

Host OS is Windows 7.

I want (at the same time) my VM to use wireless and the Host to use wired, both at the same time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I want my VM to have wired access and my host wireless

I want (at the same time) my VM to use wireless and the Host to use wired, both at the same time.

Which way do you want it? Smiley Happy If you want your VM to use Wireless then configure the VMnet0 to only bridge with your Wireless adapter.

If you want to prevent your host from attempting to use the same adapter for its own traffic you might try unbinding everything from the Host adapter except for the VMware Bridge Protocol (but I haven't tested this myself).

Unless I am misunderstanding?

One thing -- no matter which Host adapter you choose to bridge with, your Guests will always see an emulated wired adapter. If you actually want your Guests to have a true Wireless adapter to play with you can purchase a USB wifi adapter and connect that to your Guest.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This gets the VM to use the wireless. However when I have the wired cable plugged in, the wireless does not work in the VM. I woudl imagine this is due to the Host OS sesing there is wired and wireless.

I'm grasping at straws here, but is this a work laptop? I know a former employer of mine installed software on laptops that turned off the wifi adapter if a wired connection was detected. (This was an attempt to prevent laptop users from overloading the wifi access points).

0 Kudos
CiscoGuy
Contributor
Contributor

I want my laptop host to use the wireless network and the VM to use wired.

I wan tto do both at the same time.

0 Kudos