VMware Communities
ksenter
Contributor
Contributor

double clicking a menu item closes workstation

I noticed a weird one just now, I did a search but couldn't find anyone mentioning the same issue. In Workstation 6.5.1 on Ubuntu 8.10 (host), if I double-click a menu header (File, Edit, View, VM, Team, Tabs, or Help) Workstation closes. I was just wondering if anyone else could reproduce this. If it's just me, don't worry about it, I'll know better than to double click a menu again. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
5 Replies
gworboys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am using Workstation 6.5.0 on Ubuntu v8.10 and see similar issues... the Workstation interface closes unpredictably for me. Certainly clicking/double-clicking on the menu area sometimes seems to be the cause, at other times I am not certain what has happened. Also the Workstation interface seesm to get confused as to which view-mode it should be in, sometimes during that confusion it just gives up and dies.

The Workstation interface may die but the VMs keep running in the background. Starting Workstation again from the Ubuntu menu usually lets me get back to the VMs... although I can often run into difficulties getting the windows all set back the way I was trying to work.

I also think that my WinXP VM under this installation seems to be running into a (virtual) disk access bottleneck that I did not seem to notice in previous configurations... but dont have them available now to do a full comparison.

I currently put all this down to WS v6.5 not being certified with Ubuntu v8.10... which is a pity, I hope they find the time to do it soon.

ksenter
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, mine keep running in the background as well, although sometimes when I try to open them again it won't let me because "The virtual machine appears to be in use" and it gives me the option to take ownership but that fails too...

0 Kudos
ksenter
Contributor
Contributor

Interesting, I just found out that if I kill the tray process I can then reopen my still running vm's...

0 Kudos
gworboys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

As far as I can tell this problem has been fixed in the release of VMware Workstation v6.5.2. At least I cannot reproduce it here on my Ubuntu v8.10 host (the host OS was recently rebuilt and fully patched due to other problems - so I cannot guarantee cause and effect here).

0 Kudos
gworboys
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My mistake. The problem is still there... but does not seem as consistent. There are still times when a second click on the menu item on the menu bar (not even a double-click, just a second click some indefinite time after the first) causes the Workstation interface to die. It no longer seems to occur on other parts of the interface that I had been seeing it (tabs and buttons etc). I've only noticed it (since v6.5.2) after I've had two or more machines running full-screen and then returned to windowed mode... I could do some more testing but will wait and see if there is any interest.

PS. As before the machines stay running, you can get them back from the taskbar/panel icon.