VMware Communities
hillsmdp2
Contributor
Contributor

does workstation pro support GPU passthrough

I would like to be able to use pixel shaders and CUDA on my nvidia graphics card.

is passthough supported on anything other than ESXi?

I have to have a windows 10 host OS.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

No, none of the hosted products support GPU passthrough

chweber25
Contributor
Contributor

Are there any plans to support GPU passthrough on workstation pro in the future?  Using CUDA cores in a VM was the main reason I purchased Workstation pro...

btmp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I doubt anyone here could *officially* answer your question @chweber25.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have some more GPU options made available (for specific VMs) and pass through was high on my list of original desires (I think I started using it [Workstation] around v12?).

More recently VMWare Workstation has gone from v15, with no GPU sandbox option, to v16 with a (partially broken [arguably but at least IMO]) GPU sandbox and they could still take things either way down the line.

Like you, I hope the mksSandbox (aka GPU Sandbox) gets [fixed, 'if its not really just me' and] expanded on to give us more options, with pass through being one of the more desirable goals, (even at the risk of just slightly lower stability or security [assuming users could click out of such options {Ideally either or}]...wishful thinking I know).

TBH I'm amazed at the general stability I've encountered over the years thus far and while it's easy to 'wish' or even (like me) complain about this or that I think VMWare has does a solid job. Not perfect, not great -not even ideal perhaps but quite well overall and thats why I started using it over other alternatives and continue to use it...though I will admit to re-testing others around the time v16 came out.

All that being said, if you *really still need pass through GPU support* VMWare does have [in at least one product (none of them considered desktop)] something that might work out for you so long as you don't mind hypervisors.

0 Kudos