VMware Communities
cede02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

display problem with workstation 12 pro

Hello,

I have a display problem in one of my virtual machines.

I use a laptop that has 2 graphics cards (intel HD Graphics 530 and nvidia Quadro M200M).

when the vm runs with the pc host on the intel no problem.

When the pc host is on the nvidia card i have problem, display refresh are bad:  the lines and texts are slipping ??? (especially with outlook)

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am assuming that you are using Windows 7/8/10 as host OS and the graphics is mobile Quadro M2000M and that there is Nvidia Control Panel setting that let you choose the default GPU; and your VM is also Windows 7/8/10.

Ensure that the Nvidia Quadro drivers are up-to-date.

Ensure the VMware Workstation version is 12.5.8 and VMware SVGA 3D driver is updated from VMware Tools. There was an SVGA 3D driver memory allocation fix in 12.5.5 and minor fixes in subsequent releases.

Hardware compatibility of the VM is set to version 12 so that the Windows VM will have DX10/OpenGL 3.3 capabilities.

VMware Workstation 12.x on Windows by default will use DX11 as the render device when 3D acceleration is enabled. You could also try adding the lines to the vmx configuration to switch to use OpenGL 4.x instead

mks.enableDX11Renderer = "FALSE"

mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE"

Note that the OpenGL option is not good when the graphic adapter is HD 530. My experience with a Windows 10 VM with HD530 OpenGL option, the Windows logon screen is not rendered properly at all. The OpenGL option with Nvidia also fixes some problems with Chrome browser not being rendered properly in a Windows VM (such as the tabs are not rendered).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

I am assuming that you are using Windows 7/8/10 as host OS and the graphics is mobile Quadro M2000M and that there is Nvidia Control Panel setting that let you choose the default GPU; and your VM is also Windows 7/8/10.

Ensure that the Nvidia Quadro drivers are up-to-date.

Ensure the VMware Workstation version is 12.5.8 and VMware SVGA 3D driver is updated from VMware Tools. There was an SVGA 3D driver memory allocation fix in 12.5.5 and minor fixes in subsequent releases.

Hardware compatibility of the VM is set to version 12 so that the Windows VM will have DX10/OpenGL 3.3 capabilities.

VMware Workstation 12.x on Windows by default will use DX11 as the render device when 3D acceleration is enabled. You could also try adding the lines to the vmx configuration to switch to use OpenGL 4.x instead

mks.enableDX11Renderer = "FALSE"

mks.enableGLRenderer = "TRUE"

Note that the OpenGL option is not good when the graphic adapter is HD 530. My experience with a Windows 10 VM with HD530 OpenGL option, the Windows logon screen is not rendered properly at all. The OpenGL option with Nvidia also fixes some problems with Chrome browser not being rendered properly in a Windows VM (such as the tabs are not rendered).

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

When choose another non-default graphic card, what does the host device manager shows the driver of the NVidia card? Sometimes it will only load windows basic display driver, so you should upgrade the NVidia driver to latest and re-launch Workstation. Besides, please choose HWv12 for the guest, and meantime install the bundled vmware tools.

0 Kudos
cede02
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thx Bluefiretorm for your help.

I have VMware Workstation 12 pro (12.5.7) (Windows 10 as Host OS and als in VM)

My virtual machine was in version 11.

I followed your advice, I migrated to version 12 and I no longer encounter any display problem.

Thx for your help.   Smiley Happy

0 Kudos