VMware Communities
lumangoy
Contributor
Contributor

disk resizing in WS7

I used the exand utility for the first time today. I thought it would expand the disk and resize the partition of the guest OS. It did not. I still had to use VMware Converter to resize the disc and the partition. It would be nice to also resize the partition from WS so we don't have to use VMware Converter and create another VM.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

vdiskmanager does exactly what it claims to do : it enlarges vmdks - as it does not understand filesystems enlarging partitions is NOT possible.

To enlarge partitions you need disdkpart or whatever you prefer... ,gparted, ghost ... just to name a few.

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a feature we have in mind for the future. There would be a definite benefit for our users if we exposed Converter's ability to expand the VM's partitions with the tool to expand the vdisk.

Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
lumangoy
Contributor
Contributor

thanks!

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Re-read the release notes carefully. The ONLY OS's which the vmware-vdiskmanager can extend the partition of the formatted filesystem inside the virtual disk is Microsoft Windows Vista and Microsoft Windows 7. ALL other OS's, you must manually run a disk partitioning utility to create or extend an existing partition into the newly created disk space.

0 Kudos