VMware Communities
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

different ip address (how to??)

Hi anyone know how to make my host and guest Ip Address Different?

thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Assigning an IP address is done in the guest OS and not in the VMware application. This is no different than assigning an IP in a physical machine.

What is your host OS?

What is your guest OS?

What type of virtual networking are you using for your virtual machine? (Bridged, Host-Only or NAT)

How is your host connected to the local network / internet?

0 Kudos
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

hi thanks for the reply Im using VMware workstation 6

my host is Windows XP Pro

my guest is Win XP pro too

Guest Using Bridged

Host using Local Network/LAN

I'm trying to make the External Ip address different

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

I assume you have a router, so I assume you would want the IP of the guest to be on the same subnet as the host?

If so, you just go into the Windows XP guest OS Network connections and assign it an IP in the same range as the local network. (Not the same IP as the host, but same subnet)

0 Kudos
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

I think we have a misunderstanding here Smiley Sad what I'm trying to do is to change my IP address like when i go to ipchicken.com because i see they are the same but I want to make it different. sorry for my bad english

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If you are using a router and connected to an ISP, you will see the same IP from ipchicken.com

Chicken, now you made me hungry Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

actually im eating chicken while i was typing that 😛

hmm can't I change it?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a router connected to your ISP?

What is the IP of your host? ( ipconfig /all )

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

actually im eating chicken while i was typing that

😛

hmm can't I change it?

Depends on your internet provider.. With most of them, no. IP addresses are assigned by the provider so they know where to send the warez.

0 Kudos
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

hmm i dont think they will do that here in japan.. 😕 japanese ppl dont know warez.. only like 0.5% of ppl who uses computer know about warrez or torrents here....

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

hmm i dont think they will do that here in japan.. 😕

japanese ppl dont know warez.. only like 0.5% of ppl

who uses computer know about warrez or torrents

here....

By warez I meant any program (like shareware).... Basically, the IP tells the internet where to send your stuff (data). If you have a service like skype or vonage, it needs an address to ring the phone...

0 Kudos
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

oh i see but i dont have skype or vonage, is it possible to change it? i mean just the guest's external IP

0 Kudos
magic-man
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

oh i see but i dont have skype or vonage, is it

possible to change it? i mean just the guest's

external IP

You can change the IP address of the machine a million times, but it doesn't change what is seen by the internet.

Here's a simplified version of how the IP address thing works:

Your internet provider assigns your interface box (cable modem, phone modem, etc) an address.

Your interface box talks to your router (hub) with this address.

your router (hub) assigns addresses to your machines (host and/or virtual, all the same to the router).

When a 'packet' of data comes in from the internet, it is sent to the address specified by the interface box and your router (hub) sends it to the correct place on your network.

(Very over simplified explanation)

Inside my network, I have 30 machines with 30 separate addresses. To the outside world (internet), I only have one which is given me by my internet provider. If the internet providers allowed everyone to change their IP addresses, or if every machine in the world had to have addresses assigned by the provider even those behind hubs, we could run out of addresses.

As far as those sites that 'spoof' your address to make it appear different, many sites have been blocking any access from the 'spoofer site' address ranges so that users don't succeed in trying to get around the 1 download per hour limits on some sites.

Contrary to popular belief, changing the IP address does not stop tracing of the address.

0 Kudos
ai3gtmc
Contributor
Contributor

>but it doesn't change what is seen by

the internet.

thats what im trying to change Smiley Sad thanks anyway Smiley Happy

0 Kudos