VMware Communities
mlwambach
Contributor
Contributor

/dev/rtc Invalid Argument in CentOS 5.7 2.6.18-274.7.1.el5 64bit

Starting a Windows 7 VM, I get this message:

"The host high-resolution timer device (/dev/rtc) cannot be set up to deliver interrupts (Invalid argument)."

Unfortunately, I did 2 things.  I upgraded to 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5 from 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 and upgraded to Workstation 8 close to the same time.  So, I don't know where the problem is.  I also upgraded the VM to be compatible witn Workstation 8.

I do know that I never used to have this message appear with Workstation 7 and Linux 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5 in CentOS 5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
8 Replies
On2Mars
Contributor
Contributor

Bump...

Same problem.  Using CentOS 5.6 Kernel version 2.6.18-238.19.1.el5.centos.plus.  Didn't have the problem under Workstation 7 using same kernel.

0 Kudos
devros69
Contributor
Contributor

same problem here Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
hunter1
Contributor
Contributor

Identical problem here; anyone found a solution?

0 Kudos
mlwambach
Contributor
Contributor

I did not find a solution.  I gave up and went to CentOS 6 (now on 6.1).  Everything is now working and running much faster.  Since this was my base OS and I ran workstation inside of it, it was a pain having to make fresh backups of all the VMs and restoring after my drive was wiped out for the new OS.  But, the installation of CentOS 6 went smoothly, and no more errors from Workstation 8.

I wish I had better news for everyone...

This is no longer "my question," but I believe you folks deserve an answer so I'm leaving it that my question has not yet been answered.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
PauloEstrela
Contributor
Contributor

I'm also having this problem with CentOS 5.8 and VMware Player 4.0.2 and Windows 7 Enterprise as guest.

dmesg also shows:

/dev/vmmon[9860]: /dev/rtc enable interrupt failed: -515

0 Kudos
On2Mars
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to confirm what mlwambach stated.  After upgrading to CentOS 6.x, all the problems went away.  Looks like there is a compatibility issue with older CentOS releases.  This should really be placed into a FAQ or something before upgrading.

John

0 Kudos
mlwambach
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, my experience has been that after upgrading to version 6.0, I have had no more problems.

Since that time, I have upgraded to CentOS release 6.2 final.  All along the path leading to 6.2, I have not re-experienced the original problem.

My current kernel is:  2.6.32-220.7.1.el6.x86_64

0 Kudos
TheParanoidOne
Contributor
Contributor

I have also started seeing this message after I started up a particular VM that was copied from another server:

kernel: /dev/vmmon[1910]: /dev/rtc enable interrupt failed: -515

I am using VMware Player 4.0.2 build-591240 on CentOS 5.3 (2.6.18-308.1.1.el5 x86_64).

I have been successfully running other VMs for a while now. Could there something specific about the setup of this VM that might be triggering the above message? The guest in question is running Oracle Linux 5.7 (2.6.32-200.13.1.el5uek x86_64).

0 Kudos