VMware Communities
STFUn00b
Contributor
Contributor

delayed write failed

I have Windows 7 host os and windows xp guest on wmvare workstation 7.0.

I want to add the removable ZIP disk (i have: IOMEGA Zip 100MB ATAPI/IDE) which works perfectly on host, to my virtual machine (xp).

so i added a new generic SCSI device and selected the disk. i also run vmware in administrator mode.

windows xp (guest OS) detected the drive and I also managed to download the IOMEGA IOWARE drivers.

but here comes the problem. as soon as i explore the disk (double click on it), I get the message -> "Windows - delayed write failed"

can anyone help? how can i get rid of this problem?

TNX!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
PnwGuy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Others may have better advice, and I don't personally own any Zip drives, but I would think you would NOT want to add it as a SCSI device but simply install it as you would on any PC? If you shut down the XP VM, remove the drive you added from the configuration, restart the VM, then just plug the drive into a USB port while you're actively using the VM (not the host OS), it should either automatically install the drive, or you may need to provide the IOmega drivers.

The "delayed write failed" indicates the drive is not writable from XP's perspective. This can happen, for example, when XP thinks a drive is fixed but it's really removable. That error was more hassle in XP than in later versions of windows as XP was rather dumb about knowing what drives are removable. When XP was developed a decade ago, the only removable drives were tiny. Now they're quite large and XP gets confused. XP is also often unable to figure out when a drive becomes available for writing again and just keeps giving you the error over and over even if the drive is now available. All of that has been vastly improved in Windows 7.

Once you have the drive working in the VM, be sure to check the properties and make sure it's shown a "removable". If not, you should configure it so it is and it should work smoothly. Note, however, the default behavior is it will belong to whatever operating system is active when you plug it in. Once the XP VM knows about it, you may need to go into the VM menu and disconnect it from the host and connect it to the VM or configure the VM to automatically connect to it.

0 Kudos
STFUn00b
Contributor
Contributor

tnx for the answer, but the drive i'm using is an IDE drive not USB... i'll try by adding physical disk to virtual machine... maybe that'll work

0 Kudos
EdP2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It has been too many years since I last played with Zip and Jaz drives. As you would get better performance and capacity from moving all your zip data onto a USB pen drive, you are obviously after the challenge of making your Zip drive work with your vm's.

I'd suggest that you check whether the "Enable write caching on the disk" feature is turned on. If it is turned on, turn it off. To do this, follow these steps.

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.

2. Right-click the zip disk, and then click Properties.

3. Click the Hardware tab.

4. Click to select the zip drive disk, and then click Properties.

5. Click the Policies tab.

6. Click to clear the Enable write caching on the disk check box, and then click OK.

7. Click OK to close the Local Disk (C:) Properties dialog box.

If that doesn't work you would need to play with the "removeable media bit", while there are a number of kludges to do this with usb/flash drives I'm sorry but I have no idea how to do this for a Zip/Jaz drive.

0 Kudos
rocket888
Contributor
Contributor

I get these errors quite often on network shares for a few years now. I've got them with various configurations I first began seeing them with host win2k, guest win2k, vmware 2.x. I used to get them with some video conversion software, as it was convenient to have a virtual machine with an app convert a video file on my host machine.

I continue to get the problem with vmware 3.0 with guest xp pro, host win2k OR winxp pro.

In either case, I have the guest map a network drive. I have on my host machine a dual boot to xp pro and win 2k. In the xp pro host, I can run vmware 3 but only vmware 2 in the win2k host. The mapped drives are either ntfs or fat32 partitions. The latest set of errors comes from using quicken inside the guest (xp pro) running under vmware 3.0 on a xp pro host. All the xp's are sp3.

Bottom line is this has been an ongoing problem for quite some time in various configurations with multiple guests (i.e. some running win2k some win xp pro). I didn't bother to mention it since support questions for win2k hosts are generally ignored nowadays. But since the problem didn't go away with all xp pro (both guest and host) I'm now reporting it here.

0 Kudos