VMware Communities
Krischu
Contributor
Contributor

creating VMs only in Workstation?

I was wondering whether it is possible to create a new VM, say an Ubuntu 12.04 VM (or whatever) just with VMWare-Player or whether VMware workstation would be required? When I recently sat at a colleagues Windows 7 system where he was running VMWare-player I believe to have seen an option to create a new VM.

If that's the case, what would be the advantage of having bought (as I did several years ago) VMware-Workstation?

--

Christoph

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You can certainly create and modify VMs in VMware Player. VMware Workstation adds advanced features like a Virtual Network Editor, Snapshots, Restricted VMs, ... However, remember that VMware Player is only free for personal use. For commercial use, you need to get a VMware Player Plus license.

André

Krischu
Contributor
Contributor

How is the use in an educational environment regulated?

--

Christoph

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what André said,

If that's the case, what would be the advantage of having bought (as I did several years ago) VMware-Workstation?

--

Christoph

A few years ago VMware Player did not give you the option to create a VM with a GUI (you could always create a new VM with player if you where handy though)

There's an academic store for VMware products here (apparently I cannot add a direct link)

So go here Buy VMware Workstation 10 | VMware Europe Online Store

then Select "FAQ" at the bottom menu and in one of the FAQ lists there's a mention of academic prices and a link to the "academic only" store.

hope that helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos