VMware Communities
nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

copy a Snapshot to a different VMware environment

I have a Snapshot that is about 33bg

I want to be able to put that same snaphot on a diiffernt laptop that I have

Please advise on the complete detail process or what is best process to complete this request

Thanks In advance

Roger H Hicks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Andre's procedure is perfectly correct and is pretty much the same as I posted in an earlier thread  (the only difference being that the  earlier thread concerned moving a VM rather than copying one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I would do (it is very easy).

1)  Make a folder on the new disk call it D:\vmware say.  Drag and drop the entire directory of the source VM (it will appear at the bottom of the GUI under Virtual Machine Details)  to the new vmware folder.

You will have (I use Fedora as an example) a new  structure like D:\vmware\Fedora\<Fedora files>.

2)  Open VMware WS - remove the old Fedora VM from the library (favorites) - you need not delete from disk as you've already done that .

3)  Now use the VMware File--.Open to and open D;\vmware\Fedora\Fedora.vmx.  The "new" Fedora will be identical in every way to the one on the full disk (won't be so full now!).  If you get a message saying did you copy or move the VM naturally you will say "move" as that's what you did!.  Repeat the process for any other VMs you have on the  old (full) disk.

4)   If you want to store all new VM's you create on the 😧 Drive go to Edit--Preferences and change the location of stored VMs to D:\vmware.

Of course you should change the drive letter and new directory to your taste.

Done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what your attached screenshots are all about - the VM looks OK to me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Assuming you are using VMware Workstation or Player, all you need to do is to copy the appropriate .vmdk files. However, you need to ensure you maintain the correct snapshot chain, otherwise the copied .vmdk file will be useless. Please see VMware KB: Understanding virtual machine snapshots in VMware ESXi and ESX which explains the Snapshot Chain. It's basically the same for other VMware products.

André

nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am using workstation10

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

As mentioned before, it's important to maintain the snapshot chain and also keep the related files "clean". If you want, provide a complete list of files in the VMs folder (with names, sizes, time stamps) and explain which state you want to copy to the other laptop.

André

Note: I moved the discussion to to VMware Workstation

nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good Morning

Attached is the list of the files for my Snapshot

I am very new to this VMware Stuff

any assistance is great

0 Kudos
nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry try to upload the file

I want this this snap move to the new machine ...

Snapshot 01.pngSnapshot 02.png

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You basically need to have the exact same files on the target system. The snapshot files (the ones with "-00000x-" in their names) are linked/chained to the base virtual disk files, and if these base are modified the snapshots won't work.

You could - if you want to save time on subsequent copies - copy all the files once, and as long as you keep the same snapshot on the source system you can omit copying the base virtual disk files.

André

nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for you help

I want to be clear,

as a test

I could start another enviroment with he OS server 2008R2 up and going

go the the Directory of where the new environment is and just copy all the file from the first snapshop to the paste them there

is that correct

Please advise

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not exactly, you don't want to create a new VM on the target.

First step is to copy the complete folder with all the files to the target. Then - from the VMware Workstation menu - use File -> Open and select the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to add the VM to the library. Unless you change the configuration/snapshots on the source machine, you then can omit copying the base virtual disk (.vmdk) files on subsequent synchronizations. Whenever you copy files, make sure the VM has been cleanly shut down (on both sides) and VMware Workstation is closed! Btw. using the VM on a second host may require a second WIndows Server license.

André

0 Kudos
nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

AD

I going to try your process

Thanks in Advance

0 Kudos
nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I try the process you stated

I copy the files from C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 to C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Virtual Machines\NEXTLEVELSERVER01

then did as you stated

Then - from the VMware Workstation menu - use File -> Open and select the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to add the VM to the library

but the snap did not show up

Please advise what I did wrong

Please review the attached

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Please explain your exact steps to understand what happened. Did you add the copied VM to the library usiong the File -> Open option, or did you create a new VM and just add the virtual disk?

André

0 Kudos
nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I build a new Environment called NEXTLEVELSERVER01

then

I copy the files from C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 to C:\Users\Roger\Documents\Virtual Machines\NEXTLEVELSERVER01

Then I  stop the VMware envirnmoents

then  File -> Open and select the VM's configuration (.vmx) file to add the VM to the library

what did Ido wrong

Please advise

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

What do you mean by: "I build a new Environment called NEXTLEVELSERVER01"?

All you need to do is to copy all files to a new folder and the add the VM to the library. This way you will end up with an exact copy of the original VM.

André

nextlevel09
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

maybe I am doing something wrong but when i tired  as you see from the attchedment it did not work

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Andre's procedure is perfectly correct and is pretty much the same as I posted in an earlier thread  (the only difference being that the  earlier thread concerned moving a VM rather than copying one.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I would do (it is very easy).

1)  Make a folder on the new disk call it D:\vmware say.  Drag and drop the entire directory of the source VM (it will appear at the bottom of the GUI under Virtual Machine Details)  to the new vmware folder.

You will have (I use Fedora as an example) a new  structure like D:\vmware\Fedora\<Fedora files>.

2)  Open VMware WS - remove the old Fedora VM from the library (favorites) - you need not delete from disk as you've already done that .

3)  Now use the VMware File--.Open to and open D;\vmware\Fedora\Fedora.vmx.  The "new" Fedora will be identical in every way to the one on the full disk (won't be so full now!).  If you get a message saying did you copy or move the VM naturally you will say "move" as that's what you did!.  Repeat the process for any other VMs you have on the  old (full) disk.

4)   If you want to store all new VM's you create on the 😧 Drive go to Edit--Preferences and change the location of stored VMs to D:\vmware.

Of course you should change the drive letter and new directory to your taste.

Done

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure what your attached screenshots are all about - the VM looks OK to me.

0 Kudos