VMware Communities
unclecameron
Contributor
Contributor

controlgui.exe - unable to locate component msvcR71.dll WinXP host

I get this error after upgrading vmware tools from within a winXP host on Ubuntu Intrepid running ws6.5.

controlgui.exe - unable to locate component

this application has failed to start because msvcR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I have attempted to re-install vmware tools several times, and rebooted the guest OS multiple times. The only symptoms I see so far are that my arrow and delete keys don't work on any vm, which makes booting on other VM's off CD-ROM impossible, which I need for testing software.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I get this error after upgrading vmware tools from within a winXP host on Ubuntu Intrepid running ws6.5.

I don't understand. Do you mean a WinXP guest? Or do you mean you're running Ubuntu in the VM?

I assume you mean it's the guest, because you wouldn't be able to run Workstation on Windows at all without msvcr71.dll.

controlgui.exe - unable to locate component

this application has failed to start because msvcR71.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

I don't know what controlgui.exe is, but it's not part of VMware Workstation nor part of VMware Tools.

Do you actually have msvcr71.dll? You can get it from Microsoft (I think it's part of http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=200b2fd9-ae1a-4a14-984d-389c36f85647&displa... ).

I have attempted to re-install vmware tools several times, and rebooted the guest OS multiple times.

The only symptoms I see so far are that my arrow and delete keys don't work on any vm, which

makes booting on other VM's off CD-ROM impossible, which I need for testing software.

Are you grabbed in the guest?

I don't know what's going on, but it doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the VMware Tools (if the keyboard's not working when the VM's booting, that's happening before the Tools are even loaded in the guest).

0 Kudos
ClimberBear
Contributor
Contributor

I'm have been running, trying to solve this error for 20 days long.

After that, in my case, was very simple. In my case the error happens with SQL Server 2000, Windows Server 2003 as Guest.

The only problem is tha installing vmware tools TRUNCATE THE SYSTEM PATH VARIABLE. After that, the DLL exists, but the system doesn't found it.

Review your path variable before and after installing vmware tools.

0 Kudos
rsbrux
Contributor
Contributor

I have a similar problem. My VMware image contains SQL Server 2000 running under Windows XP as guest system. The host system is also WIndows XP, running VMWare Workstation 6.5.3.

After upgrading VMWare Tools in the guest system to the latest version, SQL Server in the guest system won't start.

Furthermore, if I attempt to start SQL Server's Enterprise Manager, I get the error messsage: "The application has failed to start because MSVCR71.dll is missing. Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

MSVCR71.dll is, in fact, still present in the guest's C:\windows\system32. Furthermore, I have checked the system PATH environment variable, which looks the same after the VMtools upgrade as it did before:

%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\BINN

Any other ideas about how this happened, or how to fix it?

0 Kudos