VMware Communities
mgh198
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

connection to remote OS from VMWARE slow

I have a vmware workstation 15.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 (host) through which I have installed a guest Windows 10 working perfectly fine. I connect through the guest Windows to a remote Windows computer. However, there's a lag even though I set vmware settings as hard 60GB, 4 GB RAM, and  2 processors and 4 cores per processor. My physical CPU is the following and I have 64 GB RAM and 1 TB hard and the graphics card is NVIDIA RTX 3000. I'm not sure why there's a lag in connection while I don't see the lag when I connect directly to the remote computer say using another laptop such as a Mac Air. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Architecture:        x86_64

CPU op-mode(s):      32-bit, 64-bit

Byte Order:          Little Endian

CPU(s):              16

On-line CPU(s) list: 0-15

Thread(s) per core:  2

Core(s) per socket:  8

Socket(s):           1

Also, when running the VMWARE, I use "top" command In Ubuntu and see %CPU is %146.

Message was edited by: Mo Ghorbanzadeh

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Working with remote Windows machines does tend to work best by using the built-in features for accessing it remotely.

By this I mean that you get the smoothest experience by enabling remote desktop in your Windows 10 VM and then access the VM that way.

The ability to access remote via Workstation itself is a great feature to have, but I mostly see this as a way to be able to troubleshoot and fix problems, not as a feature to actually use the VM.

If your Windows 10 version is not Windows Professional, but Windows home, then you might not have that option. In that case I suggest to use one of the myriad solutions that are available such as: logmein, teamviewer, chrome remote desktop, anydesk, UltraVNC, TightVNC etcetera...

All those products are designed for the best remote experience.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

VMware is a company, the product you are using is Fusion Workstation (correction)

Saying this is the same as saying Microsoft when talking about an xBox, Azure, Word, or a Surface Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

I think OP is talking about Workstation... named 15.5, using an Ubuntu Host... pretty sure they just got the product name wrong.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
mgh198
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, you're correct

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Working with remote Windows machines does tend to work best by using the built-in features for accessing it remotely.

By this I mean that you get the smoothest experience by enabling remote desktop in your Windows 10 VM and then access the VM that way.

The ability to access remote via Workstation itself is a great feature to have, but I mostly see this as a way to be able to troubleshoot and fix problems, not as a feature to actually use the VM.

If your Windows 10 version is not Windows Professional, but Windows home, then you might not have that option. In that case I suggest to use one of the myriad solutions that are available such as: logmein, teamviewer, chrome remote desktop, anydesk, UltraVNC, TightVNC etcetera...

All those products are designed for the best remote experience.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos