VMware Communities
devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor

cant copy vmdk file

I have a hard drive that is on the fritz that causes the vm to lock up every morning at 3:30am - weird?  But the vm will start up after a few errors and all will be fine until the next day.  I have tried to shut down the server and copy the vm off the drive but the .vmdk will not copy off, but everything else will.  Are there any tricks to make a vm from this machine while its up and running?  I have a feeling that part of the vmdk might be sitting on a bad block on the hard drive, but its starts and runs fine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Are there any tricks to make a vm from this machine while its up and running?

You could try to use VMware Converter to V2V it.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

run chkdsk /f /x /r driveletter - maybe that helps

if not - try to create a full-clone

Rillmar
Contributor
Contributor

You could try to copy the containt while is running to other disk or network drive.

and for copy wrong files you could try the "Copy Cat"

0 Kudos
devicemanager
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the help guys.  The chkdsk worked and it discovered the bad file.  After it completed I was able to move the .vmdk file off the drive.  Do you guys think it's a bad idea to continue to use this hard drive?  I was planning on formatting the drive and moving the vm back on to it, but any input would be appreciated.  Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

your plan makes sense - if possible query the SMART - status of that drive.

If that says the drive is ok - continue to use it.
If not - regard the drive as untrustworthy

0 Kudos
rapid3642
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are you guys remoting into the esxi server and running chkdsk? or are you starting the machine up in something like parted magic?

0 Kudos