VMware Communities
kazurengan
Contributor
Contributor

cannot type my password on virtual machine

hi i'm trying to type my password on windows login screen

but doesn't let me type, just the numbers are working.

is there a way to fix this?

Tags (2)
12 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a guess. Maybe one of the keys (CTRL, ALT, AltGr, Win, ...) is stuck!? Sometimes it helps to press, and release each of these keys once.

André

sachu2017
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes Right it may be reason that below keys are stuck.

CTRL, ALT etc.

So Pleas check it and then try

kazurengan
Contributor
Contributor

strange, it's happening the opposite.

if i keep holding altgr button i can type.

isn't there a way to fix this?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The "stuck" key should actually be released by pressing, and releasing it while the VM is in the focus.

What you may try is to press, and release it really fast and/or press it, hold it for a second or two, and then release it.

André

0 Kudos
kazurengan
Contributor
Contributor

yes i tried to do that, but doesn't let me type after pressing it and releasing it

or hold it, it just let me type while i'm holding the altgr key

maybe im missing something

0 Kudos
kazurengan
Contributor
Contributor

i'm sitll needing help with this issue please

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for the posting!

What's the windows version when you hit the issue? Have you set sticky keys on or set any other key in the windows VM? On the host, have you installed some language input method which conflict with VM's keyboard inputs? If none of these happened, would you please provide vmware.log for our further investigation. Thank!

Also there's one workaround if you want to autologin, you may enable autologin via VM setting -> Options -> Autologin, choose Enable and enter username & password. Then after reboot VM, it will take effect and you don't need to enter password.

0 Kudos
kazurengan
Contributor
Contributor

hi i am using windows 10, i already released the hotkeys on hot keys preferences but didn't work as well

so i attached my log here

https://shrib.com/#XNmaky29bZ4yJDXe-Gza

0 Kudos
kazurengan
Contributor
Contributor

i need to set a password for my OS but i cant because of password

requirements

0 Kudos
TracyHuang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi kazurengan, would you please provide vmware.log and ui log? You can get location from Help -> About VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
BRGVMWARE
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I had a similar problem, I could not write anything (not even numbers) after "New password". But actually, I realized that what happens is that, even if what you write does not appear in the screen, what you write is recognized.

So I wrote a password (even if nothing appeared in the screen) and clicked enter. And it asked me to repeat the password, which I did (even if there was still a blank space in the screen). Then I could continue with the installation.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Keilt
Contributor
Contributor

What worked for me was to go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, Privacy tab, Accessibility on the left, then on the right, toggle off and then set to on/checked for VMware Fusion.

I know this thread is old, but I just encountered it on a brand new Apple Macbook Pro 2018 with Fusion 10.1.

Enjoy

0 Kudos