VMware Communities
bp787
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot pxe boot using vmware workstation Pro 15. error: PXE-E53: No boot filename received

I am trying to use workstation 15 pro to install an image provided via pxe boot.  The pxe server is hosted on a Freenas server.

I am able to pxeboot on bare metal with the same setup.  Also, I can pxe boot from within the vm system in freenas.

What am I missing?  I'm assuming it's an option in the dhcpd.conf file or in pathing, but i've been unable to find an answer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Would you please have a check if your VM's network connection type is NAT or Bridge? You should change the connection type to Bridge if you want to pxe boot from an outside pxe server i think

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Would you please have a check if your VM's network connection type is NAT or Bridge? You should change the connection type to Bridge if you want to pxe boot from an outside pxe server i think

0 Kudos
bp787
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The VM is in Bridged Mode.  I'm going to test to see if another VM can access the TFTP server from a terminal.

0 Kudos
bp787
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

for some reason, although I selected bridged mode and saved the settings, when i re-examined the settings, it was still NAT'd.  I deleted the VM and set it back up, and now bridged mode is set properly and pxe boot is functioning normally.

0 Kudos