VMware Communities
iinfi
Contributor
Contributor

cannot ping to outside network or host machine from guest.

i have installed VMWare workstation 6.5 on my windows XP machine. in the VMWare workstation i have installed Cent OS 5.3 and kept the networking as bridged so that Cent OS can access the internet and download the updates.

my windows xp machine network config is as follows

the xp machine has two LAN cards one connected directly to the internet and another LAN card connected to my brother's laptop (Internet connection sharing enabled).

LAN1 : connected the internet and obtains IP (public IP) from my ISP's DHCP.

LAN2 : connected to bro's laptop. ip given is 192.168.5.1 (255.255.255.0)and bro's laptop IP is 192.168.5.12

i have given the guest's IP as 192.168.5.222 (255.255.255.0) in bridged mode.

now if i try to ping the LAN2 on my host i dont get a response.

if i try to ping two guests in the VM the connection is active.

if i keep the guest's LAN in DHCP then it obtains IP from the ISP direcly diff from the host's IP (which is not what i want as ISP doesnt support multiple connections on my login).

so is there a way i can get the guest to communicate with the host and also the outside network?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hii

try switching ur guest vm to NAT to access internet ,bridging actauly uses the physical NIC on ur host machine so assign accordingly as u have two nics ,also try this URI

http://www.vmware.com/support/gsx3/doc/network_change_bridged_gsx.html

please consider awarding points as correct and or helpful ..thanks!!!

regards

JOe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
iinfi
Contributor
Contributor

hi joe.. thanks for your reply.

i am afraid changing the setting to NAT didnt help me.

i changed the IP of VMNet1 and VMNet8 to 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3

and the guest's IP to 192.168.1.222

now i am able to ping to 192.168.1.3 from the guest but i am not the other NICs.

i am not able to get to the internet either. i dont know where i am going wrong Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

the fact is that The bridged network uses VMnet0.

The host-only network uses VMnet1.

The NAT network uses VMnet8.

and they r different virtaul switches u cannot ping between vm on vmnet1 and vmnet8 unles some sort of routing ie putting vmnet8 and vmnet1 in different ip subnets(IPv4 based)

regards

Joe

Joe Joseph,Thanks in Advance If you find my reply useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.
0 Kudos
iinfi
Contributor
Contributor

i think u misunderstood me.

i have given an IP of 192.168.1.3 to VMNet 8 and given the guest machines an IP of 192.168.1.222 etc

now when i try to ping other NICs in my system i dont get a response. eg. 192.168.5.1 and the public IP.

hmmm hope i am not sounding too naive. 😐

added: i v kept the guest LAN adapter in NAT only

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Your best bet is to uninstall VMware Workstation and reinstall the product, this time do not change any of the default IP address of VMnet1 or VMnet8

Once you have the host back in the correct networking configuration, post ipconfig /all from both the host & guest or ifconfig -a if using Linux

Post the .vmx file from the virtual machine

0 Kudos
joe1600
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

192.168.5.1 and 192.168.1.3 bleong different subnet say if uisng class c default subnet the subnets are 192.168.5.0 and 192.168.1.0 and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 u canoot ping these to address without routing via physical dedicated routers or software routing

i think u should a little deep into subnetting and networking just google it

please consider aawarding pionts as helpful and or corrcet thanks in advance!!!

regards

Joe

0 Kudos