VMware Communities
pgaltieri
Contributor
Contributor

cannot import an OVF file into Workstation 16.1.1 on Fedora 34

I have 2 systems running Workstation 16.1.1, one is Fedora 33 the other Fedora 34.  On the F33 system I can import an OVF file without errors.  On the F34 system I can't and it silently fails.  I can find nothing in the logs that indicate why it fails.  After I did a little checking on the system where it works the OVF file shows up with the following properties:

Type: Open Virtualization Format (application/x-virtualbox-ovf)

On the system where it fails:

Type: XML document (application/xml)

In fact on the system where it works I have VirtualBox installed, but not on the one where it fails.  Is there something I need to do to be able to import ovf files?

According to the VirtualBox documentation:

Oracle VM VirtualBox creates file type associations automatically for any OVF and OVA files on your host OS.

Any help is appreciated.

On a side note the ovftool fails on F34 as follows:

/usr/lib/vmware-ovftool/ovftool.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libnsl.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

this is because it has a dependency on the libnsl package which is not installed by default.  What is installed by default is the libnsl2 package.

Paolo

0 Kudos
3 Replies
umarzuki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yum install libnsl.so.1

will install required packages to get libnsl.so.1

0 Kudos
pgaltieri
Contributor
Contributor

My comment was to indicate that the installation of Workstation should have a dependency on libnsl and make sure it's installed when I install Workstation, or build the ovftool against libnsl2 if that's what's getting distributed with Linux releases.

Paolo

0 Kudos
rexfordnyrk
Contributor
Contributor

The same problem exists for Workstation Pro 17.0.1  on Fedora 38. 
You need to ensure you have libnsl2 using the command below. 

sudo dnf install -y libnsl2

create a link to this lib for the ovatool using the command below

sudo ln -s /usr/lib64/libnsl.so.3 /usr/lib64/libnsl.so.1

Tags (3)
0 Kudos