VMware Communities
Rickshaw
Contributor
Contributor

cannot enable share a virtual machine any more

Hello,

I've installed VMware Workstation 8 on a Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit.

The problem is that I cannot enable share a virtual machine any more. This feature used to work though in the Beta version...

Here is the message I get when trying to share the VM (Edit->Preferences->Shared VMs):

I've logged this case with VMware Technical Support and what a shame Smiley Sad

Started My Case in January 2012-SR 12134797801

On 18 Jan

"Please also try the following:

1. Close the VMware Worstation software.

2. Delete the following files on the physical machine:

"config.ini"

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Workstation\config.ini

"preferences.ini"

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\VMware\preferences.ini

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\VMware\preferences.ini

3. Reboot the physical machines.

"

THIS DID NOT WORK

Upload Log file requested on 19th January 2012

On 23 Jan

"Please try the following:

1. Disable any firewall or antivirus program. Stop the services for the firewall and antivirus.

2. If you were using port 443 earlier and if it was working fine then confirm if any other application is using port 443 or not. For example Skype uses port 443.

3. Try using different port numbers and then enable the service. (Try mulitple ports)

If this does not work then please uninstall and reinstall the product. Ensure not to retain configuration settings during the uninstall.

Please refer to the URL below to perform a clean reinstall of the product.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1308

Ensure to reboot the machine after the uninstall and reinstall (if not prompted by the product). Test the functions after the reinstall and let us know the results."

THIS DID NOT WORK

On 25 Jan

"I will reach out to my development team for more input on this. I will get back to you as soon as I receive any update from them.

In the meanwhile, please also try the following as recommended in the previous email.

Please try creating a new user account with Administrative rights on the physical machine. Login to the physical machine using the new administrative account and then run the VMware Workstation
software.

Try enabling the services for the shared virtual machine. Please ensure that you have disabled all firewall and antivirus services on the physical machine.
Please also let us know of changes made on the host machine after the time at which the functions was working properly. The changes could be installation of softwares, changes of specific settings on the machines, etc

Looking forward to hearing from you."

THIS DID NOT WORK

ON 25 Jan

"Hello Ayaz,

My name is Pradeep, Supervisor - VMware Support.

I received your escalation request and would like to contact you to discuss the issue in detail.

Please provide me a preferred time and number to reach you."

26 Jan

"Hi Ayaz,

As discussed, I have escalated the problem report so that engineering can look deeper into this and come up with an resolution plan.

Following which we will be able to know when the fix will be ready & released.

I will update you as soon as we hear from the engineering team regarding this above."

27 Jan

"Hi Ayaz,

Unfortunately, we still haven’t heard anything from engineering. As mentioned earlier, I will update you as soon as I have new information.

I’m expecting a response from them tonight."

15 Feb

"Ayaz,

We have elevated the priority on the related PR as of yesterday’s final escalation update.

Engineering have promised an update by tonight (as they are in the PST region).

I will communicate the update to you as soon as I have it."

16 Feb

"Hello Ayaz,

Thank you for your response.

I wanted to update you on the progress of the particular bug report regarding the sharing feature. Engineering team has scheduled a fix for the particular bug for release on 8.0.3 maintenance release of VMware Workstation. They have yet to provide any workaround of this issue.

We will keep you updated regarding the progress."

17 Feb

"Hello Ayaz,

Thank you for your response.

We have not received any update from development team today. I have already pinged them for any information. I will pass that on to you as soon as I receive it."

12 Mar

"Hi Ayaz,

As mentioned earlier, the fix for this issue has been added to version 8.0.3.

Unfortunately, the release date is still undecided.

Please let me know your concerns."

I've uninstall and reinstall product serveral time so please don't recommend to reinstall product

Can any one help on this forum to sort out

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Wow - what a nice experience Smiley Wink

please zip the directory
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\hostd
and attach the archive

Did not VMware support tell you to delete that directory before reinstallation ?

0 Kudos
Rickshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Continuum

Thanks for reply

I think they have already  tried to delete all temp and application data file but no luck. But they didn't look into hostd file I presume.

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I think your file config.xml is invalid.

It says:
<defaultConfigPath> C:\ProgramData\VMware\ </defaultConfigPath>

that is a path that maybe valid on win7 or 2008 but not on 2003.

I would uninstall , then manually delete the directory C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\hostd.
then reinstall

or ... adjust the paths in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\hostd\config.xml

0 Kudos
Rickshaw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Continumm

Thanks for your reply

You're correct it is Windows Server 2008 R2. Is that problem?

Regards

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

???
so you have 2008 R2  ?

uninstall - delete the hostd directory and try again

0 Kudos
Rickshaw
Contributor
Contributor

It's SBS 2011 machine which comes with Windows Server 2008 R2.

And I've tried few time to delete all those mentioned file but didn't work.

it was used to work fine before christmas but now if I go to the services and try start VMware workstation service it does't I dont know why ?

It only VM shared feature which is problem

any adivce

Regards

0 Kudos