VMware Communities
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

cannot access virtual machine running on a remote windows 11 host

I am connecting from my home pc (debian testing) to a work laptop (also at home) with remote desktop (remmina). 

I am using vpn (Global Protect) on the work laptop.

I am connecting with remote desktop from that work laptop over the vpn to my to the work desktop running windows 11.

I am running vmware on my work desktop. 

The connection works fine.  I can interact with the vm application (menu and tabs for the vms). But, clickin on the body of the vm will not activate it.  No mouse clicks nor keystrokes make it to the vm. 

Any ideas on what to try next?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have found and solved this: It was because I had the enhanced keyboard driver turned to required, not when available.   I had been fiddling with that because the keyboard was really slow on the vm.  The real solution to that was to turn of the hypervisor (for wsl) on the new computer. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I do not see this same problem when connecting to remote hosts and suspect that it has to do with the implementation of the RDP protocol in Remmina.

In your case I would install a Windows VM on your home PC and try to connect via the native Windows Remote Desktop client.

This might not be an option for you, but it is what I would do.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The connection from the home linux box to the work laptop using remmina was not important.  I have duplicated the problem without this connection with just:

I am using vpn (Global Protect) on the work laptop on my work laptop running at home.

I am connecting with remote desktop from that work laptop over the vpn to my to the work desktop running windows 11.

I am running vmware on my work desktop.

The connection works fine. I can interact with the vm application (menu and tabs for the vms). But, clicking on the body of the vm will not activate it. No mouse clicks nor keystrokes make it to the vm.

Any ideas on what to try next?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It certainly isn't normal.

Is the desktop of the VM visible or is it black?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is visible.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

1. What OS is the VM?

2. Firewalls?

2. Does it boot up to the log in screen?

if so:

3. Does VM/"grab input" do anything

4. VM/Send Ctrl-Alt-Delete?

0 Kudos
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1. What OS is the VM?   - the os runing inside the vm is debian 11.

2. Firewalls? -- The only firwall  (that know of) is the one that protectes the corporate network that the Global Protect vpn goes through.

2. Does it boot up to the log in screen? -- I have been leaving it running on the work desktop pc so when I connect it is already running.  from my destop pc I can access it. When i go home and access over remote desktop it is still running, but does not get anything from mouse or keyboard.  When I come back to work it is still running and works fine.

if so:

3. Does VM/"grab input" do anything --- It does not do anything (just shows running like I left it.)

4. VM/Send Ctrl-Alt-Delete? --- the vm is not setup to lock or screen saver, so there is nothing for ctrl-alt-delete to do.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Well, my thinking with alt-ctrl-delete was sending keys without using the keyboard. But, since you are connecting remote, that might shut you down. Bad idea.

There is a thread on here about keyboard/mouse problems with over 4 processors on Win servers, but that doesn't seem to relate to what you are doing. 

Sorry I can't help, I don't have a Windows system to install VMware workstation, I run Debian on one system and ESXi on the other.

Lou

0 Kudos
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The desktop that is running the vm is definatly a screaming PC with 10 cores and 20 logical cpus.  

The vm has 8 (4/2) processors assigned.

I don't know how that can make a difference, but maybe I can try that next time I get a chance.

0 Kudos
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have found and solved this: It was because I had the enhanced keyboard driver turned to required, not when available.   I had been fiddling with that because the keyboard was really slow on the vm.  The real solution to that was to turn of the hypervisor (for wsl) on the new computer. 

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Glad to hear you found the reason and have been able to fix it.
Also thanks for letting us know how you fixed it. I had not replied as I wanted to try and see if I could reproduce it on Windows 11. But I don't have Workstation installed on Win11 atm, so was planning to do that. Would not have guessed the "enhanced keyboard option".

That's an option I never use and would normally advise against using. The only reason to use it is:
"to allow Ctrl+Alt+Del and Win+L to work from within the guest OS without it being intercepted by the Windows host OS." quoted from former VMware employee jameslin at: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/What-exactly-is-the-quot-Enhanced-Keyboard-...

From my point of view, the only thing it does is... cause problems.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
stefankoch
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Spoiler
It seemed only right to let everyone know.  

It is too bad that I had the keyboard slowness with both vmware and hypervisor in the first place that caused me to flail away and break this before I found that conflict.
0 Kudos