VMware Communities
bp787
Contributor
Contributor

can't install vmware Pro on RHEL 6.8

I recent upgrade my kernel on RHEL 6 to the latest 2.6.32-642 from RedHat.  I can no longer run vmware.

the error message at the end of the log is:  W115:  failed to build vmnet.  Failed to execute the build command

I have kernel-devel and kernel-headers installed.

the only other error I see in the log is relating to /lib/modules/kernelversion/build/include/generated/utsrelease.h  

utsrelease.h exists, but not under generated/

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

In your case the thing I would try is to create a symbolic link from where the file is to where it expects the file to be.

A soft link should do.

See also:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/unix-creating-symbolic-link-ln-command/

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
bp787
Contributor
Contributor

I have done that, now no matter what location I put in for the kernel header location, vmware states:  " C header files matching your running kernel were not found..." 

I'm fairly good with linux.  symlinks aren't an issue.  I have the kernel headers and kernel source.  I didn't have this issue until I updated the kernel...

I'm going to boot into the previous kernel and see I can install then...

0 Kudos
bp787
Contributor
Contributor

actually, i found that if I symlink the utsrelease.h file in that generated directory, i causes vmware to bomb out completely and it can't "find" the kernel headers/files.  removing the symlink allows me to get back to the original error

0 Kudos
bp787
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't find this in a previous search, but the answer was here:  RHEL 6.8 64bit kernel update breaks Workstation

It's pretty annoying that this hasn't been fixed, considering it's a pretty easy change.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It's fixed in Workstation 12.5 which just has been released right now.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos