VMware Communities
chunchengch
Contributor
Contributor

can not set resolution 1280x800 in linux guest?

I find the highest resolution is "1024x768" in xorg.conf, I add into the "1280x800", but the resolution remains "1024x768" after the linux guest reboots, is there any modification should make to get the resolution "1280x800" to work?

Thanks for reply!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Set the resolution by using and configuring the VMware tools. Change to runlevel 3 (init 3) and start "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". This builds the modules again, therefore you need the kernel sources and C compilers to be installed. It should ask you for the resolution, test it and add the necessary entries to the X configuration. When the tools are running you should also be able to size the resolution by changing the window size via mouse and choosing "View - Fit Guest now".

AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
CWBillow
Contributor
Contributor

>>

Change to runlevel 3 (init 3) and start "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl".

<<

Huh? 'Cause I'm having a bit of the same problem...

Regards,

Chuck Billow

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Huh?

?

That's what I do:

I change to the console and set the system to runlevel 3 which is multiuser, network, no GUI (no X loaded). This can be done by entering "init 3" on your console.

Then I start the VMware tools configuration "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl" (I always use the VM Tools .tar file, not the .rpm package). This starts compiling the tools, therefore you need the kernel source files and the C compiler (gcc) installed.

After compiling you're asked if you want to change the display size (if it was set once before), you get a list of resolutions and you can choose one. This will be tested immediately and if it works the entries are added to the X configuration.

After this you can reboot or change back to the multiuser, network and GUI runlevel by entering "init 5".

AWo

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Runlevel:

German: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel

English: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runlevel

AWo

0 Kudos