VMware Communities
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

burning to dvd disk

I have very recently burnt a vmware 6 segment linux to a rw dvd with a reccommended burning software there were no problems burning but when i try to copy i get a ms-dos error message.

can i point vmware to the cd dvd/cd drive and boot the os from there? its the version of vmware workstation that came out last november

ricky1

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Your question is very unclear. What is your host OS? What version of Workstation?

Are you saying you have a Linux guest VM in which you burnt files to a DVD, and are now having issues reading that disc?

0 Kudos
ricky1
Contributor
Contributor

'Are you saying you have a Linux guest VM in which you burnt files to a DVD, and are now having issues reading that disc'

YES THIS IS THE CASE THE HOST OS IS WIN XP SERVICE PACK 2 THE BURN to dvd are 6 segments of a seamless debian linux os (guest)

the vmware version workstation was the one released last november 2008

0 Kudos
azn2kew
Champion
Champion

Do you still have the virtual guest machine folder where you can burn it to DVD again, you might have DVD consistency copy checksum error. Can you just copy the VMDK files to local drive and create a new virtual machine and open with existing vmdk files to see if it works. Have you try to use Imgburn software and burn your DVD to .iso and then mount the iso to see if you can actually read the contents at all.

If you can't read the DVD then there isn't any technical solutions to resolve it unless you have the source .vmdk to re-create the VMs. You can do a system state backup of the Linux guest machine and restore it anytime you want that would be easy but don't know if that guest still alive or deleted.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

Regards,

Stefan Nguyen

VMware vExpert 2009

iGeek Systems Inc.

VMware, Citrix, Microsoft Consultant

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! Regards, Stefan Nguyen VMware vExpert 2009 iGeek Systems Inc. VMware vExpert, VCP 3 & 4, VSP, VTSP, CCA, CCEA, CCNA, MCSA, EMCSE, EMCISA
0 Kudos