VMware Communities
jdjdjd
Contributor
Contributor

bug in workstation 5.5 manage networks

(I went through that awful forum registration 6 times just now, going in circles, until I finally guessed that I had to change the settings at the very bottom to include a forum name; what a terrible process that was...)

vmware workstation 5.5.3 build-34685

Bug in the manage network settings

If you run the manage network settings, it will ignore all your changes.

There is at least one page -- the DHCP settings -- where after you change anything, it displays a message telling you to push the (nonexistent) "Apply" button.

This is the clue to what is the real bug here.

There is an invisible, or hidden, or nonexistent "Apply" button.

To find it, you have to close vmware workstation, log out, log back in as a local admin, and then run it again (or use "RunAs" to invoke it as an admin).

Only then will it actually show the secret "Apply" button.

Possibly they didn't test the dialogs for normal users. They appear to work, except that they don't actually work at all (all your changes seem to be thrown away), and there is that clue that it references a non-existent button.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You must be running VMware Workstation on a Vista host

0 Kudos
jdjdjd
Contributor
Contributor

You must be running VMware Workstation on a Vista host

Nope. Why -- is this a bug already documented, but (incorrectly) documented as only affecting Vista?

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

To make changes you must be Administartor or in the Administrator group

0 Kudos
jdjdjd
Contributor
Contributor

Hey, if you're connected at vmware, or know the people there, maybe you can get this bug submitted? It is a little bit evil to pretend to let the user edit the settings, and then throw them away silently -- and the clue that one page references a non-existent button seems far more like a mistake than a design choice Smiley Happy

0 Kudos