VMware Communities
LifeIsGrand
Contributor
Contributor

better cpu/platform for vmware 8 test lab with nested support

Hi I need to build a decent workstation to test out some features, which cpu/mobo would better?

AMD x6 1045t with gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, 32gb ram

or

i3 2100 with motherboard not decided yet, and 32gb or ram

from the benchmarks I've seen the i3 2100 is quite capable and more but I'm wondering with it's 2 cores 4 threads how it stacks up against a 6 core 6 thread X6?

I'm leaning towards the x6 1045t for now cause of amd full virtualization.  Any advice, the i3 path seems tons better for future upgrades.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
kjb007
Immortal
Immortal

Personally, I would go with higher # of cores.  My lab consistes of AMD based whiteboxes, and I've seen better performance with real cores, vs SMT/CMT.

Especially when you're nesting, you want to have the cores available.

-KjB

vExpert/VCP/VCAP vmwise.com / @vmwise -KjB
GaneshNetworks

As of my concern, CPU that does not matter for setting up a test lab. I am running my own lab with the below config

Intel i5

Intel DH55TC

16GB DDR3 RAM

Simultaneously, I am working on 4 virtual ESXi and 12 VMs on them. Memory utilization would around 14GB or more. But the CPU utilization, Just 20-30%. So from my own experience, I recommend you to spend some more bucks on Memory.

-GaneshNetworks-

~GaneshNetworks™~ If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".