VMware Communities
noname212
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ask - configuration network inter virtual PC

hi there,

I have some virtual systems running on my computer, one is based on windows 7, another is windows xp and another is windows 2003 Standard edition.

All running continuously together. I want to all my virtual pc connect each others just like they connected in LAN. I already configured the IP address manually.

what step I need to do? is it possible all my virtual PCs running on one computer, connected each other? thanks before

0 Kudos
9 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To gain a better understanding of the VMware Virtual Network Infrastructure I'd strongly suggest you read Chapters 14 (Configuring a Virtual Network) & 15 (Advanced Virtual Networking) in the Workstation User's Manual much less the rest of the documentation.  (Also available in the VMware Workstation Help File.)

noname212
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

I've read the manual. what I did same with that (I think), but found from VM1 can ping to VM2, but VM2 can't ping to VM1. why it happen? VM1 is windows XP based, VM2 is windows server 2003 based.

thanks before

0 Kudos
logiboy123
Expert
Expert

If you are using bridged networking mode then all your guests should be able to see each other as long as they are on the same network; i.e. 10.1.1.x/24. If they are on the same network and you are using bridged then you could try disabling the firewalls on each of your guests.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To add to what has already been said by logiboy123, it doesn't matter whether you're using Bridged, NAT or Host-Only, and since you stated in your OP that you have manually configured the IP Addresses you need to first make sure that the Network Configuration Information is in the correct range for the type of Network you've configured each VM for and that they are all on the same type and using IP Addresses in the proper range for that Network.  Once you have validated that the Network Configuration Information is proper and correct for the Network Type you've chosen then if necessary for testing connectivity issues you should temporarily disable all Firewalls, AntiVirus and other Security type Software on both the Host and Guests and then re-enable as or when done testing.

Also if you're using Bridged then make sure you've disabled automatic bridging for VMnet0 in the Virtual Network Editor and assigned a specific active NIC.

If after that you still have networking issues then provide ipconfig /all information for the Host and Guests by redirecting the output of the ipconfig command on each to a text file using the following as an example.

Copy & paste the following commands, as is, and press Enter...

On the Host in a  in a Command Prompt... (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

ipconfig /all > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\host_ipconfig.txt"

This will create a file on the Host's Desktop named host_ipconfig.txt

On the Guests in a Command Prompt... (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt)

ipconfig /all > "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop\guest_ipconfig.txt"

This will create a file on the Guest's Desktop named guest_ipconfig.txt

In addition to the ipconfig information for each Guest also archive (compress) into a .zip archive the output of the ipconfig command and the .vmx configuration file and vmware.log files for each VM and attach to a reply post.

NOTE: DO NOT Copy and Paste any of this information directly into a reply rather archive the files and attach the .zip file(s) to a reply! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
noname212
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

do you mean VM1 and VM2? or I still need to do "ipconfig" in host system? because I just need VM1 and VM2 connected each other. thanks before

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Need to see all information requested, ipconfig on Host and Guests and the .vmx and .log files.

0 Kudos
noname212
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes, I'm using bridge mode, both of them, VM1 and VM2.

anyway, I'll check again whether all firewall is on or off.

thanks before

0 Kudos
noname212
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hi,

both of VM already connected each other. it is caused windows's firewall.

anyway, do you still need the file? :smileygrin:  thanks before

to all,

very thanksful for ur contribution.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If your problem is resolved then no I do not need anything.

0 Kudos