VMware Communities
hillsmdp2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

any way to increase number of processors to 32 or plan for when available?

i have an 18 core Xeon machine so 36 "processors" available.

my system of about 100 executables (10 of which are openGL apps) run great on a native RHEL 7.5 OS.

however, i have performance issues when using a RHEL 7.5 guest on a windows 10 host OS.

It is hard to determine if is just rendering issues or number of cores issue as all the executables work together.

i would prefer to stay with vmware but may have to try virtualbox as i believe they support 32 cores.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Workstation 16 is about to be released (you can already try the Tech Preview ) in a few weeks (max):

From the VMware Workstation Tech Preview 20H2 July User Guide :

1. What’s New

• Container Support. Project Nautilus is now available with VMware Workstation Tech Preview 20H2 July. You can run build/run/pull/push container images directly with vctl.
  • USB 3.1 controller support.
  • 32 vCPUs, 128 GB virtual memory. Virtual machines can now run with up to 32 virtual CPUs and 128GB virtual memory.Note: Running virtual machines with 32 vCPUs requires that your host and guest operating systems both support 32 logical processors.
  • Vulkan render support for Linux Workstation. The Vulkan renderer enables Linux virtual machines to utilize Intel GPUs to gain 3D support with DX10.1 and OpenGL 3.3.

So if you want to stay with VMware.. all you need to do is wait a bit longer.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Workstation 16 is about to be released (you can already try the Tech Preview ) in a few weeks (max):

From the VMware Workstation Tech Preview 20H2 July User Guide :

1. What’s New

• Container Support. Project Nautilus is now available with VMware Workstation Tech Preview 20H2 July. You can run build/run/pull/push container images directly with vctl.
  • USB 3.1 controller support.
  • 32 vCPUs, 128 GB virtual memory. Virtual machines can now run with up to 32 virtual CPUs and 128GB virtual memory.Note: Running virtual machines with 32 vCPUs requires that your host and guest operating systems both support 32 logical processors.
  • Vulkan render support for Linux Workstation. The Vulkan renderer enables Linux virtual machines to utilize Intel GPUs to gain 3D support with DX10.1 and OpenGL 3.3.

So if you want to stay with VMware.. all you need to do is wait a bit longer.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos