VMware Communities
neustadt
Contributor
Contributor

Yet another Vmware "cannot find valid peer process" problem

Hi

I know there are some threads about this here, but most of them do not relate exactly to my problem or are outdated.

I am using Gentoo Linux as my host OS. I had VMware running and it worked (nearly perfectly) but now wont boot up any virtual machine. I do not know what I did to make it not work anymore. I did not do any kernel upgrades. I am not 100% sure, but it might well be, that vmware worked only till the first reboot of my box.

I am getting the "Unable to change virtual machine power state: Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to." error, when I try to power up any vm. According to lsmod, vmmon and vmnet modules are loaded.

I am clueless. Anyhelp would be very aprechiated.

Some specs:

• VMWare Workstation 6.0.2

• Linxu 2.6.22

• attached .vmx which used to work.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
neustadt
Contributor
Contributor

I have some more info. I am getting this dmesg ouput when the error message pops up:

mtrr: type mismatch for d0000000,10000000 old: write-back new: write-combining

/dev/vmmon[-1069104616]: HV check: anyNotCapable=0 anyUnlocked=1 anyEnabled=1 anyDisabled=0

BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000041c

printing eip:

c012bde0

*pde = 00000000

Oops: 0002

PREEMPT

Modules linked in: vmnet(PF) vmmon(PF) vmblock(P) snd_seq_midi snd_emu10k1_synth snd_emux_synth snd_seq_virmidi snd_seq_midi_emul siimage nvidia(P) snd_emu10k1 snd_rawmidi firmware_class snd_ac97_codec ac97_bus snd_util_mem snd_hwdep k8temp i2c_nforce2 forcedeth

CPU: 0

EIP: 0060:[] HostIF_UnmapUserMem+0x4c/0xb0

[] HostIF_LockPage+0x40/0x190

[] Vmx86_LockPage+0x5a/0x80

[] cleanup_module+0x10fa/0x1580

[] cleanup_module+0x4f0/0x1580

[] cleanup_module+0x4f0/0x1580

[] down_read+0x0/0x10 SS:ESP 0068:f1bcddc0

The "BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 0000041c" line makes we wonder. I am getting this with regards to a different problem of mine (wine + nvidia module)

Does it mean, this bug here is not vmware related?

0 Kudos
neustadt
Contributor
Contributor

it was a kernel problem (strangely, because i didnt recall messing around with my kernel at all)

anyways, i recompiled my kernel and all the modules and everything works like a charm again.

0 Kudos
kkddil
Contributor
Contributor

i have a problom but i don't know how to creat here a new messeg Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
neustadt
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
ParasolTAMU
Contributor
Contributor

After a power down, starting the VM using vmrun start produced:

Loop on signal 11 -- tid 4409 at 0x3616407638.
Error: Unknown error

Using the GUI gave another kind of error:
"Cannot find a valid peer process to connect to"

Deleting lock files didn't help.

Restarting the server didn't help neither.

Following some hints about "old snapshots" found somewhere else, it seems that VMware Workstation 8.0 is using some kind of file quantity quota. I proceeded to delete my oldest snapshot (using the GUI) and this resulted in the machine being able to start from the freshest snapshot. It is now up and running OK.

My environment is CentOS 5.7/64 on both the host and the VM.

This seems to work... may be it's the solution to this problem.

0 Kudos
lakshmananforum
Contributor
Contributor

Hello guys i solved the issue by repair the installed package with the help of vmwareworkstation full setup.  try it surely working

0 Kudos