VMware Communities
jnkramer
Contributor
Contributor

XP64 Guest Operating System

VMWare work station 6.0.3 Build 80004

Host OS, Vista 64

Guest XP 64

I was interested if any one else is having small issues with the above combinination.

I have been trying to create an XP64 Guest OS.

I can install the OS no problems. (Both a raw, direct from disk, and a fully through a fully patched version)

I install VS2005 and TFS (both raw and fully patched version).

When trying to compile, I am occationally getting access vialoations. This is alway true when running FXCop on the assemblies.

Some background information. I have two real machines running the exact configuration (XP64, VS2005 and TFS) and I have not seen ANY access violations. We also have machines runing this code with VS2005 and TFS (Vista 32, 64 and XP32) and have not seen any problems like this.

I first started seeing this problem after I fully setup my vm machine and after finding no reference to this problem on the web, though maybe I messed up.

So, I did a freash install of XP64 implemented no patches, install VS 2005 and TFS with not patches and tried it again. Same problem. Access Violation after access violation. Mostly on FxCop but other places also. I also copied the FXCop files from an XP64 machine which is running example with no problems ever for altleast 1 1/2 years. Still had access violations.

BTW, I used these same install disks (ISO images) except the OS, to make an XP32 version and all works fine.

My question is this: is it possible there is a bug in the VMware with this combination? It's the only thing that make sense, but I can't say for sure.

Any help would be appreciated. I need to set this to allow for testing of new configuration with un tested 3rd party packages and I don't want to dedacate a machine just for this.

jnkramer

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Can you attach/post "vmware.log" from your guest directory on host?

0 Kudos
jnkramer
Contributor
Contributor

Here is the vmware.log

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Did you record time of observed error so I can try to find appropriate part of the log?

Do you have any virtual disks, including snapshots, (as part of this guest) on USB hard drive?

0 Kudos
jnkramer
Contributor
Contributor

the time should have been right at the very end. Because I did not have time or logs from previous problems I recreated the problem. Got the error and shut down VS2005 shut down VM. Sent logs. (This was a recreation of the problem for the sol pupose of sending the logs)

Second part of your questions is yes. I have tried this in may configurations, with and without snapshots. with and without USB hard drives. From as clean an install as possible (OS, VS2005, TFS with out any patches) to a complete install with all patches and many inbetween. I have deleted old install and reinstalled the OS at least 5 times. The problem occurs not matter which way I have done it. The last one did have USB hard drive and snapshots, but I have verified the problem happens without either.

jnkramer

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Was the error time around Mar 24 11:27:24.890 then?

0 Kudos
jnkramer
Contributor
Contributor

yes. Looking at the log files it may have happend closer to 11:27:00 although there are no log entries for that time.

The sequence was:

Power up:

Start VS 2005.

Right clicked and selected "run code analysis" on a project.

Agina Right clicked and selected "run code analsis" on same project.

Got Error with FxCopCmd with Do you want to send error report to Microsoft. (This is the symptom).

Clicked "Don't send"

Closed VS 2005.

Shutdown VM.

While I know the syspton is an AccessViolation on FxCop, because of the steps I have gone though to fix the problem (see previous comments), It leads me to speculate that it could be a bug in the VM. I just can't be 100% sure.

jnkramer

0 Kudos