VMware Communities
peidsnes
Contributor
Contributor

XP disappearing from the virtual machine and problem with logging off.

I'm the MIS Manager of Viator Microcredit in Azerbaijan. Some months back we bought VMware workstation 6 (for Windows Operating Systems). We're using it on computer in one of our branches. The reason for that we bought the program is that our software doesn't allow us to give loans in 2 currencies at the same time. So to make our cashier's work easier we installed the program on his computer, so he can switch quickly between the software depending on if the customer is paying back dollars or manat (local currency). We installed the program 2 months ago, but now 2 times when he starts the virtual machine XP is not there and the program asks me to install software again!

How can this be?

I've done a lot of testing on my work computer without having any problems like this.

The branch where we're using your program has a server system and when we set up the workstation on the employee's computer a hired IT professional made users with passwords in the XP in the virtual machine ( admin and the user). That seemed to create a problem when the worker had exited the virtual machine and wanted to re-enter. Than the XP in the virtual machine gave a message that the person was still logged on as a user in the XP.

All this of course led me think about the best way to quit the virtual machine. From the program itself and from the help manual on the internet several options were given. For me the most sensible way seemed to to make the "power off button" as "shut down guest" (shut down gracefully). But it's been confusing for me how this would relate to shutting down the virtual machine the same way as I log off/shut down a normal computer (start> log of or shut down)?

Is it sufficient only to "shut down gracefully" or should we should just log off/ shut down the computer as any other computer?

So it might be that we have closed down the virtual machine in not the best way. But it seems strange to me that the consequence should be that the operating system disappears! This is the biggest problem right now..

Some details:

•We're connecting to the network through a switch.

•Networking is configured for the guest: bridged

Will be thankful for any ideas/suggestion how to solve this problem of the XP disappearing and how to best close down the virtual machine.

Regards, Pal F. Eidsnes

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jakganesh
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It may be user permission issue.

If that VMware image file is configured under administrator documents folder, other users will not be able to view or work with that virtual mechine.

If user issue is not there means then you can import that VM by browsing the VM (You can import that VM by browsing the location where its VMDK & VMX files are placed) & add that VM to your Favorites.

Coming to Shuting down Vm should be shuted down as like a normal mechine.

Jak
0 Kudos