VMware Communities
Dashers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

XMLSpy vm3dmp.sys BSOD, Workstation 16

I've been getting BSOD when using XmlSpy (just clicking the New File button will do it) for vm3dmp.sys.  I tried reinstalling VMWare Tools.

This only started happening when upgrading the hardware level of the VM to Workstation 16 from 15.  I've found that dropping to ESX7 doesn't help, but reverting fully to Workstation 15 compatibility prevents the crash.

There is a similar problem occurring on Fusion: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/Upgraded-to-VMWare-Fusion-Pro-12-0-gt-Ca...

Not an ideal workaround.  Not sure how to get this picked up by VMware for a fix?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried updating the SVGA driver in VM? I'm not sure if it'll help, but Windows Update should have a version that's newer than shipped with VMWare Tools in 16.1 (you can get this same version by downloading VMWare Tools 11.2.5 manually).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ender_
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Have you tried updating the SVGA driver in VM? I'm not sure if it'll help, but Windows Update should have a version that's newer than shipped with VMWare Tools in 16.1 (you can get this same version by downloading VMWare Tools 11.2.5 manually).

Dashers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

That seemed to clear it up, thanks.

0 Kudos