VMware Communities
fryejs
Contributor
Contributor

Writing to / ---Need to stop this

Hello,

My setup...My host OS (RHEL4) lives on a 4 GB Compact Flash card which is going to be read only in a day or two (bye bye development work). I have a samba share (remotely located disk) which is where my VMWare Workstation 5.5 lives which is 50 GB of free space.

Configurations currently in place:

1. Windows paging is disabled.

2. Inside .vmx file I have added the line-- sched.mem.pshare.enable = "FALSE" (to disable paging in vmware).

3. Inside my vmware startup script I have a variable set to-- export TMPDIR=/mnt/xxxx (my shared disk - using samba).

4. Inside VMWare-Edit-Prefernces-Memory-Fit all virtual machine memory into reserve host RAM. (this vmware session has 2048 RAM reserved \[box has 8GB total]).

Now with all of that said, I can see that my ui log is going to /mnt/xxxx but while the VM session is running I can see/watch my "/" (hda2 - 4GB CF Card) fill up go from 75% used to 85% used in the matter of 45 minutes (cant wait for it to fill and then crash the server); and when I close out the Guest OS (WinXPpro) I can see that 99% of what has been written up to that point goes away...I have tried find / -cmin 1 and lsof and many others to try and find what is being written (oh and I did find that in /var/run there is a vmware directory created each time you start up the VM session...I need this to go away also).

Can someone please help with re-directing all background process and any/all tmp to my /mnt/xxxx disk?

Thanks,

josh

0 Kudos
1 Reply
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

Try with " tmpDirectory = /somepath " in the /etc/vmware/config file

I am not sure that WS will honor this option, but it's worth a try Smiley Wink

0 Kudos