VMware Communities
MazH
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Would creating a library of VM images run on different PCs

I'm relatively new to VM technology and would appreciate some advice on the following query.

We would like to create a library of virtual machines (Windows o\s) and store them on a network server. These would then be run by anyone in the company by playing the virtual machine on their local machine (via the VM player). The library of vm's will most likely be created using a dell laptop, however the images may be required to be played on dell desktops and other desktops/laptops manufacturers, e.g. toshiba etc.

My question is would the virtual machines run ok in this environment? - is there a possible issue with drivers?

Maz

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as you don't have RedHat VMs or similar which use special kernels depending on the CPU of the host ... this will work

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

That's a nice thing regarding virtualization, at least with VMware. You have a unified virtual hardware, so your guest can run on every physical hardware.

You can even share these guests between different virtualization products. It is possible that you may have to be aware of different virtual hardware versions, but if you get stuck there, there are free and easy to use tools and procedures to get around this.

Have a look at this document: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/mobility_guide.pdf

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
TobiasKracht
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Yes, all of this is possible. You can simply take a VmWare Player 3, it`s free and allows to create VMs, just install VMTools in VMs after deploying, and that`s all! It will work with all hardware and software.

StarWind Software R&D

StarWind Software R&D http://www.starwindsoftware.com
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

as long as you don't have RedHat VMs or similar which use special kernels depending on the CPU of the host ... this will work

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos