VMware Communities
glummulator
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation7 - can assign only 2 CPUs with i5??

Hi, subject basically says it all- I have upgraded from C2D to i5 and I have a couple of VMs (Linux and windows) but neither one allows me to assign more than 2 CPUs (processors) for it. These machines were originally run on a C2D. What's the holdup?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jschellhaass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What's the virtual hardware version? VM, Upgrade or change version.

Jeff

0 Kudos
glummulator
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, how do I find that out? Is it this entry from the vmx- virtualHW.version = "4"?

In any case I was able to edit the vmx file's entry

numvcpus = "4"

and now it gives me the options of 1,2,and Custom:0, the latter giving me 4 CPUs for the machine... I guess it's sorted then?

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Workstation 7 new VMs have virtualHW.version = "7"

If you select this VM and use VM in the GUI you should have the option Upgrade or Change Version. virtualHW.version seems not be compatible with workstation 6. Also you should check if the vmware tools are actual.

Before changing I would suggest to make a backup of the entire VM folder if possible Smiley Happy It's maybe handy if something goes wrong.

0 Kudos
glummulator
Contributor
Contributor

I was running this VM previously also in VMW7 without problems, only it was on a C2D

I guess there's no need to upgrade now since I was able to edit the vmx for a 4-core CPU. Also it's a ubuntu server so vmware tools is out of question.

0 Kudos
Bernd_Nowak
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I have installed the tools in Ubuntu most of the time. I had met a guy who had some vmware courses/certificates and he told me that the vmware tools help manage vmware the memory and other resources better.

Here's how it works most of the time for me Smiley Happy

You can do these steps from a SSH terminal

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Then select Install/Upgrade VMware Tools

sudo mount /media/cdrom0

cp /media/cdrom0/.gz /tmp/*

sudo umount /media/cdrom0

Now the next steps have to be done on the console because it will break the SSH connection:

cd /tmp

tar xvzf VM.gz*

cd vmware**

sudo ./vmware-install.pl

This should do it.

But as you said. It's not needed and if you're satisfied with the VMs then you don't need to.

Merry christmas!