VMware Communities
avonian
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation14 and Windows10 Home edition VMs freeze and require repair

I have a fresh install of Windows10 Home edition with all the latest drivers and Workstation14.

When I run existing VM's or new VM's, the behavior is always the same, which is that on the first run the VM's work fine, but then when I suspend them or power off and try to resume/restart, they instantly lock up/freeze. At that point if I try powering off, suspending state, etc. VM Workstation just sits there indefinitely, and terminating the VM is impossible because according to workstation the Virtual Machine is Busy.

What I end up doing is restarting windows, opening the windows application manager and running "Repair" under VMWare Workstation, and in doing so, then the machine gets back to a functional state, but only for one or two sessions max before the problem recurs, requiring yet another "Repair".

I'm really stumped and at a loss as to what could be causing this, any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
avonian
Contributor
Contributor

Update: I've figured out the issue, for suspend/pause it's actually fine, but for some reason when shutting down the VM the lck files don't get deleted, if I manually delete them then it will start up again without issues. Obviously the repair takes care of cleaning up the lock files, and that explains why I was having to repair.

Anyone know what might cause the lck files to not delete on their own after (what appears to be a graceful) VM shutdown?

0 Kudos