VMware Communities
BRM_NL
Contributor
Contributor

[Workstation10] Closing VMware application when Closing VM

Goodmorning,

We're using VMware Workstation version 10 to run Windows 2000 Pro with a version of WinCC 5.1 to run a project. To have everything setup:

Is it possible for me to shut down the VMware application when shutting down the VM?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If you run the VM using the Workstation player UI, it will.  The player UI executable is installed with Workstation Pro, just may not have an icon for it.

0 Kudos
BRM_NL
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

The next problem I have is that it needs to be running in Unity Mode.

The plan for us is to have a desktop icon placed on the desktop of the hostmachine made in Unity mode. Can I run this executable (or in this case .bat file) in VMplayer?

Edit 1: Found a way to run it in VMplayer instead of VMware. I set the .vmx extension to run on VMplayer as default.

Edit 2: I get back to the VMplayer library even though the setting 'Return to the VM library after closing a virtual machine' is off. I need this to be closed directly after shutting down. Then my problem is solved.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Most likely when you create a shortcut for vmware player and pass it the full path to the vmx file on the command line in the shortcut you get what you want.

If that doesn't' work then try vmrun instead.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos