VMware Communities
themagicone
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation worked perfect now nothing

I've been using Workstation 7, 8 now 9. Works perfect. Now all of a sudden it is telling me that I do not have VT support and can't start any 64bit OS's. I uninstalled it, reinstalled and it worked for a little while. Then it went back. Now no matter what I do can I get it to boot a 64bit OS. Disabled everything on my PC. Still nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks

0 Kudos
13 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Look at your BIOS settings -assuming you can get to teh BIOS setup  of course (can't tell the extent of your compouter's malfunction). BIOS is where VT is enabled.

0 Kudos
themagicone
Contributor
Contributor

Enabled and disabled numerous times. Did the full restart thing. Nothing. This issue happened without even restarting the computer. Booted up 2012, had to make some changes and restarted the server - it wouldn't reboot. Is my Proccessor dying?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Server 2012 your host or guest?  Guess your entire machine can't be hosed if you are posting  froom it.  Maybe you might try to reflash the BIOS??

0 Kudos
themagicone
Contributor
Contributor

My pc is windows 7 64bit. I was running a 2003 server and 2012 on vmware. 2012 was working great and then restarted the vm. Now i get the disabled long bit error then the vt is disabled. Very fustrating.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Are you having problems with 2003 as well?  If only 2012 VM and the hsot doesn't reboot it would seem to be at 2012 problem which of course can't really diagnose (to many variables)   Somebody posted in another thread  that you might want to make sure 2012 was activated. .  But if you attach the latest vmware.log perhaps we could see something.

Actuall if you have server 2012 RTM you will need to enter the product key before you can continue isntallinig it - then it will be activated automatically online.  I'm creatinig a 2012 Server (Technet) right now - but using Hyper-V on Windows 8 at the moment so thre is no direct correlation except for the product key.  As I recall lyou have to activate 2003 onlinie using Window sactivation after the Server is installed - at least that's t rue for 2008 R2.

0 Kudos
themagicone
Contributor
Contributor

Just not 2012, tried running win7 64 with same issue. Also the 2003 64 does it too.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just to clarify, when you say "the full restart thing", do you mean you actually powered off your host system for a few seconds, then powered it up again?  VT support is somewhat odd in that once it gets disabled, there's no way to re-enable it without completely powering down the host.  A normal restart or reset is not sufficient.

So, if you haven't already done so, go into BIOS, make sure that VT is enabled and "Trusted Execution" is disabled, save the settings, then completely power down your host.  Maybe remove the mains cable (and/or battery, if it's a portable computer) from the host for a few seconds if you want to make sure Smiley Wink.  Then power it back on and see what happens.  (Apologies if you have already done this... I'm just not certain from your description.)

Even then, it concerns me that you described the problem suddenly coming on while you were using the computer and using Workstation... that makes me think that it's not a problem with the settings you have in BIOS/firmware... but I'll wait to hear back from you on the above before continuing with troubleshooting.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From your log file, VT-x is indeed disabled and locked off. This is likely to be a BIOS bug, but it could also be that your CMOS battery is dying.  When you boot into your BIOS settings, does it report that VT-x is enabled or disabled?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Basically all I got f rom thke log was your  reported message and

http://vmware.com/info?id=152

Good luck

0 Kudos
themagicone
Contributor
Contributor

It doesn't make sense. The 2012 server was running in VM, restarted the VM then nothing. I had no issues until I installed workstation 9. Tried version 7 again but same issue now. I know vt is enabled.

Now this morning I booted up my PC now VMware is working, my 2012 VM launched perfectly.

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

themagicone wrote:

Now this morning I booted up my PC now VMware is working, my 2012 VM launched perfectly.

Your BIOS probably fails to enable VT-x when resuming from sleep/hibernation.

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

Of course when you say "nothing" you mean nothing apparent.  Post the vmware.log from you other virtual machines and see if they show the same shutdown messages.  Also see what happens if you create a new virtual macllhine - perhaps a Linux VM (like a quick Ubuntu).  You could also try "power on to BIOS" for the machine and see if you get into the VM BIOS.  Just throwing out more ideas here.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Try disabling Hybrid Sleep, if it is enabled.  Instructions can be found here: http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-7/turn-off-hybrid-sleep-in-windows-7/

After disabling Hybrid Sleep, power the system down completely.  Wait 10 seconds, and power it back on again.

0 Kudos