VMware Communities
LifeIsGreat
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation vs. Server

Which services do I [b]loose[/b][/i] by choosing Server over Workstation?

Which services do I [b]gain[/b][/i] by choosing Server over Workstation?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Which services do I [b]lose[/b][/i] by choosing Server over Workstation?

Teams; multiple snapshots; clones; experimental 3d graphics; better graphics/UI.

Which services do I [b]gain[/b][/i] by choosing Server over Workstation?

Run guests in background as services (correctly); scripting (but this will appear in Workstation 6)

There's probably a few others, but those should be the major ones.

0 Kudos
moboking
Contributor
Contributor

I need a point of clarification. At this time, I am running workstation, but would like to try out with VMWare Server because as you said, I can run Server as a service. If I understand you correctly, I would turn on the host OS (my case, XP Pro) and Server will launch automatically invisibly in the background. Then from a remote machine, I can log into the host machine and launch the guest OS? While the guest OS is running, the user using the host OS will not see that Server and a bunch of guests are running in the background? Is there any clues to the user of the host OS that someone is launching a guest OS? If that is the case, what happens when the user restarts or shutdown the host OS? Any warning messages? Messages to both the user of the host OS and the users of the guest OSes?

I cannot find instructions on how to run Server as a service. any pointers?

Is there no way to run WS as a service? I am so accustomed to WS that it would be a shame to switch.

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

>I cannot find instructions on how to run Server as a service. any pointers?

You don't run Server as a service. Well, I guess actually it already IS.

You configure individual guests to run as a service. Edit VM settings>Options Tab>Startup & Shutdown list item. In top section, specify either System, or a specific user account (and password) to run the guest as. In the bottom section, specify what action you want this guest to take on host powerup and shutdown.

>Is there no way to run WS as a service?

Not built into the product. You can hack it using NTSRV or SRVAny. But it's not a clean/complete way.

0 Kudos
janvv
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen VmWare Server is very economicly using the memory. If a running VM is not used ther memeory usage will go very low. That's great.

I am running Linux as host, so why shouldn't I install VmWare Server in stead of Workstation, and use my (windows) machines via rdesktop.

In fact, I am not using all the advantages of WS, like multiple snapshot, shared folders and so on.

0 Kudos