VMware Communities
jobeko
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation v14 Pro, failed to start autorisation service

Can't start autorisation service even when i try manual it wil not start.

Error code 6000009

please help

11 Replies
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

You need to "fix" the installation.

VMware authorization Service Terminated....

0 Kudos
wangeryan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try to reboot your physical host machine and verify that if vmware Authorization Service can be started. If still hit the issue after reboot, you can try following steps:

----------------

1) Uninstall VMware Workstation 14

2) Open cmd as administrator and execute "sc delete vmx86"

3) Delete vmx86.sys in "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\"

4) Reboot the host

5) Install VMware Workstation 14

WebShoe
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, this solution worked for me but I had to reboot before windows would let me delete the file.  I also searched for the file vmx86.sys on my C:\windows drive.  I found another copy in a hidden folder located at C:\Windows\System32\DRVSTORE\vmx86_{a lot of numbers and letters}.  In this folder I found 3 files; vmx86.cat, vmx86.inf and vmx86.sys.  I deleted the vmx86_* folder as well.  I rebooted again, reinstalled VMware Workstation 14 pro.  Now Virtual machines that were running painfully slow before (the reason I uninstalled VMware to reinstall it but got the error on this thread) run FANTASTIC again.

Edit: This lasted a day and then ran very slow again on Windows XP guests and later windows.  W2k and earlier run fine.  I suspect an issue with Windows Fall Creators update and WMware not getting along or an issue with how VMware creates guest environments for WinXP and later.

Kevin_Pidd
Contributor
Contributor

same issue, problem occurred for me on Win 10, not immediately, but a week or two after fall creator update and upgrade from 14.0 to 14.1, so not idea if that was a cause.

But this solution worked, thanks heaps.

0 Kudos
cdc1
Expert
Expert

"Repair" option within the VMware Workstation Pro Installer is what worked for me. Required a reboot after repair was complete, but after that, the issue was gone.

I didn't bother trying any of the other things that were suggested here. So, I cannot confirm if they would have worked for me too.

Flymo
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same problem after a recent upgrade to VMWare Workstation Pro 14 14.1.0 build 7370693.  Ran the application repair and rebooted, all fixed.

mullasci
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue with 12.5.9, but I can't find the corresponding installer to repair.

The most recent I can find in the downloads is 12.5.7 and it can't repair 12.5.9.

Anyone can point me to the needed installer?

TIA

[edit] By searching through google I could get a link to 12.5.9 that I did not get directly.

Unfortunately neither repair, nor full reinstall (uninstall-reboot-install-reboot) fixed the issue for me.

0 Kudos
bilal10
Contributor
Contributor

I upgraded from 12.5.8 to 12.5.9 and had the same issue.

I entered my license key (open VMWare --> Player --> Help --> Enter license key) and I restarted.

Then the authorization service was running automatically after the reboot and I could play my VM.

I am not sure if the license key fixed the issue or just the computer reboot by itself fixed it.

0 Kudos
Justmetoo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Greetings,

I made the mistake of allowing VMWare to install the latest update.  Once I did, none of the VMs will start.  I can't manually start the vmauth service, so I looked in the log and found the following event (error) message:

Version mismatch with vmmon driver: expecting 330.0, got 308.0

And the suggestion that I reinstall VMware Workstation....

How is it that VMware is sending out updates that cause systems to crash like this?  And not have some sort of patch available to fix it?

Anyway, I have tried turning the enhanced keyboard driver off (I tried turning it on with the update), running the repair option, etc.  Nothing fixes the problem.  So I guess I have to uninstall and then reinstall per the other suggestions - but was really hoping to avoid this.

Anyway, like the rest of you, will keep plugging away.

Fletcher

0 Kudos
cranem451
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue after upgrading.

I found this web site and followed the steps they had.

The file vmx86.sys was my problem.

pastedImage_3.png

Above I'm using "Void Tools Anywhere" to search for the file vmx86.sys
https://www.voidtools.com/

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=w74SW4S1EvfJ0PEP39mugAU&q=voidtools+everything&oq=void+to...

Nice tool, you can just enter C:\  vmx86.sys

and it will find every file that matches that name on drive C:

http://www.vbrain.info/2018/01/15/workstation-14-upgrade-authorization-service-error-6000009/

Above is link to the web site explaining the fix to Error 6000009

0 Kudos