VMware Communities
oldprogrammer
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation run OS X Lion in Bootcamp on real Apple hardware?

The reason I want to do this is because I love my Macbook Air, I build iOS apps, but my bread and butter is in developing .Net applications. I currently run Lion and build my .Net apps in a Win7 virtual machine, but it's not ideal. I'm not interested in running a half-baked, legally-questionable solution. I want to know if it will actually work from a tool like VMWare Workstation (or Player) without spending the hours needed to try it out on my laptop for real. Anybody tried this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I love this idea. It seems to me to fully meet Apple's licensing issues (running a legal copy of OSX on Apple hardware), yet give you full host speed for developing .net apps. Good luck!

0 Kudos
andreaplanet
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

if I'm not wrong you can have a OS X Guest if it runs on Apple Hardware/Host (I suppose with VMWare Fusion) and if the Guest OS X is a Server version. So actually I still use OS X without VM, but with Remote Desktop and several boot partitions for testing/development.

0 Kudos
oldprogrammer
Contributor
Contributor

It seems legally viable, but VMWare Workstation or VMWare Player would need to support running Mac OS X in this scenario since Windows 7 would be the host.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm not a lawyer so I'll not address any legal issues, if any, surrounding this however the only VMware product that officially supports using Apple Mac OS X Server 10.5 and higher and the only Client version Apple Mac OS X Lion is VMware Fusion when run on Apple-branded hardware on an Intel based Mac.  So the issue is moot even though technically those and other versions of Apple Mac OS X Client/Server versions might be able to be run in VMware Player/Workstation it is not supported and cannot be discussed how to do it in these forums.

That said, if you do have a Mac and do have VMware Workstation installed under Windows on the Boot Camp then how to do it is probably already out there on the Internet.

0 Kudos