VMware Communities
rajtpp
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation remote logon?

I really like the workstation product and am about to buy it but have one question. In GSX, you have a GSX console which you can install on any machine and connect to your GSX server from the Internet. Is that functionality available with workstation? Can one logon to it remotely?

Thank you

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

The VMware Workstation 6 that is currently in beta has a VNC server built-in that will allow you to connect to the virtual machine remotely using a VNC client.

This feature is not available in WS 5.x

If you do purchase Workstation 5.x now, you can upgrade to WS 6 for free when it becomes available.

Make sure that you reads the term & conditions of this offer listed here.

http://www.vmware.com/products/ws/tgp.html

0 Kudos
rajtpp
Contributor
Contributor

well, I could install VNC server on each of the VM's too within workstation 5 and have the same thing. But, this isn't the same thing as what GSX offers - direct access to the console from remote locations

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You are correct. GSX Server (and VMware Server, its' replacement) has a remote client console (and a web-based MUI). This is part of the design... the Server products are designed to run back-end non-interactive guests, while Workstation is designed to run user-interactive guests.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

well, I could install VNC server on each of the VM's

too within workstation 5 and have the same thing.

No, it is not the same thing. Built in VNC allows to connect directly to VMs, even before they have network configured.

But, this isn't the same thing as what GSX offers -

direct access to the console from remote locations

That is easily substituted by remote access to host OS and apps (and in many cases works much better than VMware remote console).

0 Kudos
rajtpp
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, the VNC feature makes sense now..

Thx for all your help Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rajtpp
Contributor
Contributor

Just one last question. Vmware 6 has some really nice features and I like it. But does anybody know when the installed beta will expire and cease to run on my system?

0 Kudos
rajtpp
Contributor
Contributor

Just one last question. The beta is out. In approximately how many weeks should we see a final release? I think I'll just wait till the final release is out if it's going to be as short as 4-6 weeks

Thank you

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Nobody knows. The current beta serial numbers expire at the end of May. Historically, either the release will be out a week or two before then, OR they will issue new beta serials with a farther-out expiration date.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

It might expire in one month, but you will have the opportunity to get newer beta or buy a product (once beta program is completed).

0 Kudos