VMware Communities
unknownghost
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation pro not working on windows 1903

Hello, can you guys please update VMware workstation to work with the new windows 10 1903 update because when you try to open a VM it just hangs and it doesn't open, sometimes it does but most times it doesn't open at all.

Tags (2)
71 Replies
46terherh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They already fixed this.

Need to wait for update.

Using VMware on Windows 1903 host machine cannot turn on guest machine

0 Kudos
didierw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, I can confirm that exact problem on windows 10 1903 with workstation 15.0.4 build-12990004.

Black screen and VMWARE not responding afterwards, a reboot was required.

Unfortunately it is unusable under 1903, I had to revert back to 1809.

Kind regards,

Didier

0 Kudos
jo900
Contributor
Contributor

same here 1903 has completely broken vmware... wait for update soon !

shakedc
Contributor
Contributor

I found two scenarios that trigger the hang:

1. if your VM is a local VM and configured to have devices that don't actually exist (printer, cd-rom, etc). Remvoing all of those devices allows the vm to start up as normal

2. once the vm is up, trying to copy a file from the vm or into the vm from the host or from a connected USB will cause the hang again.

I've been using windows insider builds for a long time so I started experiencing this issue a few months ago. This is what I found as a workaround for now. Its extremely unsatisfactory due to the fact that file transfer between host and guest is a logistical nightmare now.

0 Kudos
Sotirisdim4
Contributor
Contributor

In my opinion this is just placebo. All fixes are placebo. Due to me moving files around freuqently I end up with those "couldn't find file" errors a lot, and yet it still freezes. It's truly a random chance if it breaks or not until we get the patch.

0 Kudos
shakedc
Contributor
Contributor

Maybe what I mentioned wasn't clear enough.

You can move files as much as you want.

If you copy a file from the guest to the host or the other way around, you get the freeze.

I have this problem for several months now (windows insider program) and once I identified both of the things I mentioned and avoided them I did not experience the hang even once.

You said it happens to you all the time.

Doesn't sound like placebo to me.

0 Kudos
jo900
Contributor
Contributor

they say is fixed, so i think soon we will see an update.

I just have enough of microsoft and their 6month feature updates, is always a giant headache, everytime issues with driver and software...

I already know that, so my work pc will see v1903 with months of delay...

0 Kudos
tzjtzjtzj
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 15.0.4 is apparently not compatible with Windows 10 (1903). When creating or starting a VMWare, the screen remains black.

There must be a patch?

0 Kudos
hahakiki2010
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for reporting this issue. VMware is fixing this issue and support windows 1903 in coming release soon

0 Kudos
nemethv
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for being impatient but when is 'soon'? 1903 is now pretty much publicly out and an important part of the workflow isn't actually working. At least suggest an ETA pls.

lindros2
Contributor
Contributor

fix due in 2020.

this is why my organization/enterprise moved away from Dell/EMC/Vmware/Airwatch.

They don't care, they fire people, we cost them millions a year.

Win/win.

lindros2
Contributor
Contributor

FYI I UNinstalled Windows Sandbox and my VM's now work.

That appeared to be the trigger for me (and yes I also disabled all the Guard stuff).

"Release Candidate" 18362.86 (no further updates)

0 Kudos
TomCarlisle
Contributor
Contributor

I was having problems that sounds a lot like what is being discussed here. I ended up creating a new guest VM, and transferring data/documents. For whatever reason, VM created in earlier version of Workstation Pro and/or on Windows < 1903 is what became highly unstable -- even crashing the host OS. I chalked it up to a fluke in the guest VM, but seeing this thread I doubt it was.

This is not something that can wait. It is screaming SEV1.

lindros2
Contributor
Contributor

I was having problems that sounds a lot like what is being discussed here. I ended up creating a new guest VM, and transferring data/documents. For whatever reason, VM created in earlier version of Workstation Pro and/or on Windows < 1903 is what became highly unstable -- even crashing the host OS. I chalked it up to a fluke in the guest VM, but seeing this thread I doubt it was.

This is not something that can wait. It is screaming SEV1.

Interestingly enough, on my Win10 box (built September, 2018), the host became more and more unstable - especially when running Windows Update on the guest machines (Win7, Win10, Ubuntu 18.04).

My thinking was that it was related to a TRIM error corrupting the boot SSD - and since I've not done that since rebuilding (yes, a nightmare), it could be.

Note: My VM's are on a separate physical disk - regular HDD, not SSD.

But it also could be related to VM instability.

I dunno.

0 Kudos
jo900
Contributor
Contributor

i done lot of testing, black screen looks really random.

This is big issue, i agree.

Windows v1903 is coming in a couple of weeks... hurry up vm !!

0 Kudos
Kev_Johnson
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Fix is definitely coming faster than that. Expect it Soon(tm)

0 Kudos
shakedc
Contributor
Contributor

On what is this claim based on? Can you share your source?

0 Kudos
buffalosolja
Contributor
Contributor

I am glad I came here and looked.  My linux guest on my windows host kept green screening.  After a couple of reboots would come back and work then fail.  I uninstalled and reinstalled the vmware Workstation as well.  And was about to completely wipe my host windows machine (which I don't mind I do it 1-3x year for DR for myself).  Glad I came here I had just went to trashcan to get rid of vm but instead I restored and will patiently wait.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> On what is this claim based on? Can you share your source?

Kev is a VMware employee - he may have insider information ....

0 Kudos
vikas891
Contributor
Contributor

Hey guys!

I just saw an update pop-up for 15.1.0 which says we finally have support for 1903. Can someone update and confirm all's well?

Thanks,

Vikas

0 Kudos