VMware Communities
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation pro license

Dear community,

I have one simple question: why is it possible to find licenses for VMware Workstation pro for free?

They all work for some reason while some of us pay for the full license. I currently don't have the money to buy the actual license and will be switching over to Hyper-v until I have the money to buy it.

Thanks in advance everyone and have a nice day.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Not 100% sure what you mean, are you saying you can find license keys online?

Anyine sharing a key or using a key in that way is violating the licence agreement.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

That's exactly what I'm saying. You can find license keys online.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Pretty much the same for all other software which uses license keys - are you expecting something to change, or did you have a specific question or request about this?

Using one would be illegal of course.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

Why doesn't VMware block these license keys?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How would they do that?

Why don't Microsoft? Why don't McAfee? Why don't other software vendors who use keys?

0 Kudos
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

As an example: By checking activated workstation installs and seeing which licenses are overused and banning them. If you Google for keys, you can get a list already.

I don't know about McAfee but Microsoft doesn't let you reuse a license key more than 5 times. 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

There’s this thing called “trust” and another thing called “faith”.

0 Kudos
jackbilmorph
Contributor
Contributor

I see your point and I rest my case. Thank you scott28tt.

0 Kudos