VMware Communities
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation on Windows Vista 64

Hi Guys

Having issues installing Workstation / Server in Vista 64 and the services wont start. Has anyone here managed to get the product working ?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jjthomas
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation 6.0.3 Build 80004 on Vista 64 Ultimate: No problems.

I did upgrade it to Workstation ACE edition - still no problems.

Everything ran fine before Vista SP1 and after installing SP1 everything is still running fine.

A couple of times I've encountered a significant slowdown somewhere around 2 in the morning that turned out to be a scheduled task installed during the Windows installation. ...yeah I know, @*&#^$! Windows.

I was running Workstation when I got BSOD right after I put a Slackware 12.0 DVD in the DVD drive. When Windows restarted, it automagically updated the drivers for the drive. I attribute the problem to a Vista driver and do not think it had anything to do with Workstation.

I did not do anything special to install Workstation. I downloaded it, ran the setup, plugged in my Serial Numbers and that was about it. I do not think I installed by using the "Run as Administrator" feature. But you might try that and see if it helps. Also be sure to disable any anti-virus software. Might also help to disable the firewall.

Server: I have not tried to install it on Vista 64.

-JJ

0 Kudos
alexj156
Contributor
Contributor

Same here was running 6.02 fine, upgraded to 6.03 and I have a repainting issue, where when I start the app up, the list of vms, and info is blank. Any ideas, I am running vista x64 sp1. I am going to try rolling back to 6.02

0 Kudos
Spiker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks guys so Vista 64 supports workstation 6.03 cheers - I shall persevere

0 Kudos