VMware Communities
miklasm
Contributor
Contributor

Workstation on Ubuntu and graphics card acceleration

Hi,

I am using Workstaion on ubuntu - there is mixed mode - where I can mix windows and ubuntu windows - this is totally cool!!

But it is a bit slow.... my computer has only build in intel graphics card - the cheapest one. Does it makes sense to buy Nvida or ATI graphics card? will it speed up guest windows?

Thank you Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

it depends.

If inside the windows virtual machine you are running some 2D/3D graphic demanding application, then maybe you will improve the performance using some better GPU on the host.

Anyway, the performance penalty is more related to a slow host hard disk or assigning insufficient memory to the guest.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,
Pablo

Please consider awarding

any helpful or corrrect answer. Thanks!! -

Por favor considera premiar

cualquier respuesta útil o correcta. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
miklasm
Contributor
Contributor

Every current OS is using GPU to speed up desktop and its applications - this is 2D and 3D hardware task.

Now VM Ware is simulating hardware for Guest. I would like to know if the graphics card simulated by vm ware is using GPU to render Guest system desktop and windows, or if vm ware graphics cars is using only cpu.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Now VM Ware is simulating hardware for Guest. I would like to know if the graphics card simulated by vm ware is using GPU to render Guest system desktop and windows, or if vm ware graphics cars is using only cpu.

I know we use the host graphics card to support 3D acceleration in the guest. If you're just doing 2D, I would expect it to depend on whether the host offloads drawing to the GPU, which is probably the case.

0 Kudos
miklasm
Contributor
Contributor

cool Smiley Happy does it also work for VM Ware on Ubuntu host?

0 Kudos