VMware Communities
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation not accepting root password for module install?

Guys,

I have some RHEL users that just upgraded to 2.6.32-431.el6.i686.  We are having to rebuild the kernel modules.  Anyways, its asking for a password which I'm assuming is Root's pwd, and is not accepting it.  If we log the user out, login as root and start VMWare everything starts fine.  Can our users use a command with Sudo to rebuild themselves?

If we try to use the users LDAP password for the popup we get an error message, which is attached.

12-5-2013 11-14-25 AM.png

TIA

0 Kudos
6 Replies
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I also had them try:

sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

and there is no difference.  Still asking for the password every time.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

As a general rule one should be logged in as root for this however if using sudo the User needs to be in the sudoers group.

0 Kudos
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

They are in the sudoers group.

Uninstall VMWare Workstation and reinstall?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Why can't they login in as root or just become root (su -) and take care of if?

FWIW I've use VMware products with many different distros, including RHEL, and I have always logged in as root to perform operations such as this as that was what the VMware documentation usually stated.

0 Kudos
rileyb76
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We do not allow them to use our root password.  They can use sudo and use LDAP pwd's for anything administrative they need to do.

If I login to the gnome desktop *as* root and launch Workstation it works fine.  Its just when the user launches it from their own desktop, they get the password dialog box and then the error msg.  They have to open a terminal and type "sudo vmware" for it to open.

These guys having the issues did update and reboot today so I'm sure there was a kernel update that broke the vmware modules...thus, the rebuild.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Well the error message kind of says it all and looks like you have no choice but to do it as root.

0 Kudos