VMware Communities
mkubecek
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Workstation license purchase cancelled after 7 months of using it?

I bought a Workstation 17 license in November 2022 (upgrade from Workstation 16, to be precise) and have been using it since then. To my surprise, in June 2023, I received an e-mail from VMware telling me that my order "has been cancelled due to database processing issues" and the payment has been returned to my account (approximately, due to different exchange rate). I asked what exactly does it mean and, in particular, if it means my license is no longer valid but I received no reply to my questions.

Did anyone else encounter something like this? Is it even possible to cancel my purchase after I have been using the product for over a half year? And, of course, the most important question: am I supposed to stop using my Workstation 17 installation unless I try to buy the license (upgrade) again? (I hope I would be able to pay the upgrade price again rather than full fee.)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Weird story. No I have never heard about this before..
Sounds like you already went through the sales channel and got stuck there.
Maybe @Mikero can assist?

IMO VMware should donate you that license. You certainly did plenty of community work.
Who else is going to keep VMware Workstation & Player running on all those new Linux kernels?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Obviously, if you have a valid working serial number which you received when you paid for the license, then it will still work.  And the main issue is what happens if/when you want to upgrade to ver 18+ in the future, if Customer Connect "My Products" doesn't show you have a valid ver 17 license - then you'd likely have to pay for a full price rather than an upgrade one.  

0 Kudos